Brahma hen with feather loss, pale comb

gammaflock

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Idaho
Hello! I am a first time chicken mom, and I have six, 8 month old Brahma hens. About a month ago, we lost a duck who shared their enclosure to a raccoon attack, where he was killed right under their coop. Our chicken Georgia was besties with the ducks, and took it very hard. Which is why I think I'm late in realizing something else is wrong with her, and it isnt just the stress of the attack. She is so pale, hasn't laid since then, and loses feathers at an alarming rate. She is starting to tremble. She eats and drinks, and poops normally (I've spent alot of time following her around lately). No evidence of mites or injuries. She used to coo at me and love being picked up, but she lets out a pitiful meow when I pick her up now. Her vent looks too dry and dark. I'm at a loss. My other girls are happy as can be, so whatever it is, it's just her thing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20201203_163232.jpg
    20201203_163232.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 16
My girls are 8 months and starting to molt. I am in South Carolina, and the last few weeks have been cold nights. 2 of my ladies have not laid in a month or more since the days are getting shorter. The others still lay irregularly, but are really loosing feathers. Do you think in addition to the stress she maybe starting to molt? Some of the girls you can't tell that they are loosing feathers unless you look closely. I have different breeds. I try not to touch them now since I think they must hurt from the feather loss and new growth. Just my 2 cents.

I hope she gets better from her loss. I believe all creatures feel grief when it's close to them.

My girls are 8 months and starting to molt. I am in South Carolina, and the last few weeks have been cold nights. 2 of my ladies have not laid in a month or more since the days are getting shorter. The others still lay irregularly, but are really loosing feathers. Do you think in addition to the stress she maybe starting to molt? Some of the girls you can't tell that they are loosing feathers unless you look closely. I have different breeds. I try not to touch them now since I think they must hurt from the feather loss and new growth. Just my 2 cents.

I hope she gets better from her loss. I believe all creatures feel grief when it's close to them.
Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't think she was old enough to have a true molt yet, but I've been hopeful that is what is happening, and perhaps her grief has exacerbated it. Thanks again.

I didn't think she was old enough to have a true molt yet, but I've been hopeful that is what is happening, and perhaps her grief has exacerbated it.
Partial molts are possible at that age, stress(the attack) can trigger them.
As long as she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.

I think you need to go with your gut if you think it's something worse, but a month ago, we had 2 pullets start molting at 8 months, including a Brahma.

It doesn't seem like these are major molts, but they've lost a dramatic amount of feathers either way. They stopped laying, their combs were shriveled and pale, and they started napping a bunch. They've been external-parasite free for the duration and never stopped eating. They just looked pitiful, and yeah, it's evidently painful for them to be picked up when those new feathers are growing. I'm dreading their full-on grown-up molts!

Photos attached of our molting Brahma before, during, and from yesterday. She still has more feathers to grow, but after a month, her comb is finally a little more pink, and I think she laid an egg today.

My 2¢ would be to have a fecal analysis done at a vet before worming. If she is molting, medication can apparently be hard on her vulnerable system. Of course, we did have a pullet become very sick from roundworms last month so wormed the flock while the 2 ladies were molting, and all were fine.

And a disclaimer that I'm also in my first year with chickens 🙂 On the one hand, that's made me an obsessively vigilant researcher, but on the other, it sounds like I only have a month more experience than you, so take my advice for what it's worth!

Best of luck to Miss Georgia. I hope she finds another good friend soon. These Brahmas are just so lovely.

Baby Miss Eula:
MissEula-smaller.jpg

8-month-old Eula molting. I wasn't picking her up at this time because of the new feathers, but she was especially clingy and wanting to sit on my lap or arm all the time.
BuffBrahmaMolt2-small.jpeg

9-month-old Eula with new feathers and her feller.
BuffBrahma-9mos-postmolt.jpg
BuffBrahma-9mos-grasses.jpg

Partial molts are possible at that age, stress(the attack) can trigger them.
As long as she eating/drinking/pooping/moving around OK, I'd not worry.
Thank you so much for the response! I'm praying this is all this is, she's my favorite!

I think you need to go with your gut if you think it's something worse, but a month ago, we had 2 pullets start molting at 8 months, including a Brahma.

It doesn't seem like these are major molts, but they've lost a dramatic amount of feathers either way. They stopped laying, their combs were shriveled and pale, and they started napping a bunch. They've been external-parasite free for the duration and never stopped eating. They just looked pitiful, and yeah, it's evidently painful for them to be picked up when those new feathers are growing. I'm dreading their full-on grown-up molts!

Photos attached of our molting Brahma before, during, and from yesterday. She still has more feathers to grow, but after a month, her comb is finally a little more pink, and I think she laid an egg today.

My 2¢ would be to have a fecal analysis done at a vet before worming. If she is molting, medication can apparently be hard on her vulnerable system. Of course, we did have a pullet become very sick from roundworms last month so wormed the flock while the 2 ladies were molting, and all were fine.

And a disclaimer that I'm also in my first year with chickens 🙂 On the one hand, that's made me an obsessively vigilant researcher, but on the other, it sounds like I only have a month more experience than you, so take my advice for what it's worth!

Best of luck to Miss Georgia. I hope she finds another good friend soon. These Brahmas are just so lovely.

Baby Miss Eula:
View attachment 2436071

8-month-old Eula molting. I wasn't picking her up at this time because of the new feathers, but she was especially clingy and wanting to sit on my lap or arm all the time.
View attachment 2436072

9-month-old Eula with new feathers and her feller.
View attachment 2436090View attachment 2436092
Thank you thank you for replying, and posting pictures of Eula! Georgia's looking similar to her, and this gives me hope she is going through a partial molt. These girls have been my saving grace through all of this quarantine mess, and I just want to make sure they're healthy and happy!

Back
Top Bottom