Brahma Hen

Sep 25, 2017
Hi,

I was just wondering - would the feathered feet on the Brahma chicken affect it in any way? Would they be more prone to scaly leg mites or not?

Also, roughly, how much bigger is a Brahma hen compared to a medium sized hen?

Feathered legs won't be different for them. Yes, they might be prone to getting dirty easier but not too bad. I have three Brahma hens on hen gets small cuts on her leg.

All I do it soak it in peroxide (diluted), dry it off and you can put band-aid on it. (If you want to).
Brahma's are pretty big birds, they are just a bit taller. Like three inches taller. Weigh a bit more, but other than that aren't what the appear to be known as "giants".

They are big, but not the biggest breed out there.

Good luck, I strongly suggest the breed!

Sincerely,
-Angry Hen

Hello there! I don't think feathered feet are more prone to scaly leg mites, since those mites like to burrow in under the scales. And a Brahma hen is quite a lot bigger than a medium sized chicken. They are large and lovely! I would say an average sized hen, like a RIR would be around 6 lbs, but the Brahma hen can run about 9 to 9.5 lbs. So I guess I would say 50% larger than your average sized hen.

Ok, thank you for your advice. It's very helpful! I'm thinking of getting a Brahma hen and just wanted some tips and advice from people who keep them! Is there anything else to know before getting a breed and adding one to a flock (I already have 5 hybrid hens)

Thanks

Ok, thank you for your advice. It's very helpful! I'm thinking of getting a Brahma hen and just wanted some tips and advice from people who keep them! Is there anything else to know before getting a breed and adding one to a flock (I already have 5 hybrid hens)

Thanks
I can't say anything bad about the Brahma breed. I had buff Brahmas and they were just gentle giants. And I think they're just beautiful. I guess the only thing is that they do eat more, just because of their size, and they're good layers, but not excellent. I just love them.

I can't say anything bad about the Brahma breed. I had buff Brahmas and they were just gentle giants. And I think they're just beautiful. I guess the only thing is that they do eat more, just because of their size, and they're good layers, but not excellent. I just love them.
That's great to know, thank you! I'm thinking of getting either a Brahma or a Cochin hen to add to my flock of 5 hybrids! Any preferences?

Well, I just have to say that I'm a fan of both breeds! They're both very gentle in my opinion. Maybe the Brahma would win by a hair! And they both have feathered feet, I think the Cochin has a bit more feathering on their feet, and it looks so cute when they walk, it's kind of like marching due to the feathers.....You can't lose with either breed. But if you have room, get two, so the newbie has a friend.....I hope you have room. LOL Get one of each!

Hi, great advice, thanks!
I might do that! I love the look of their fluffy and feathery legs!!! I like the big size! Both breeds are really cute and adorable! You have been so helpful!
What age do you recommend I buy it at? I was thinking POL?
Thanks again!

POL would be nice. Can you separate your coop with chicken wire, so the new girls can stay on one side? This way the "old" chickens can see them and get used to them but not beat them up.

Back
Top Bottom