1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma hens ? when are they mature enough to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyhen, Oct 26, 2008.

1. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I know that brahma hens take longer to mature than rir or some other hens. Can anyone tell me when they might be expected to lay? Will it be after the days start to lengthen or just when they are mature. I am not impatient, well a little bit but would like to know when to start watching for them. jean

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Do you have any pics of your brahma's ?

Have they started getting their combs and wattles yet ? HOW OLD are they ?

3. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    They are about 5 to 6 months old and very red on the heads but I don't think they are ready yet. Just curious about them. Yes they were posted here somewhere last month. All said they were 4-5 month olds. They are so pretty and funny. They are my first hens. I now have 6 little week old buffo's to play with too. I love my chicken tv. jean

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Mine are six months old and are just starting.

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:When combs and wattles get red , sign they getting real close

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My light brahmas started very early, in the 19 to 23 week range. Four out of six of my buffs and two out of five of my darks started around 27 weeks. Which means I still have six hens, buffs and darks, not laying yet at 28 weeks; but they're getting close.
    All are submitting to the roosters now without a fuss which is a good sign.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  7. Faye

Faye Out Of The Brooder

Glad you asked that... I was thinkin' about brahmas... I'm in no rush. [​IMG]

8. crazyhen

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I think they are so funny. They do the football bump. You know where the players run to each other and bump chest. They do have red wattles and combs but they may not be full enough yet. Also I noticed feathers in their coop. So one may still be growing different feathers. One is smaller than the other and their legs are different in color. One is yellow legged and feathered and the other is white legged and feathered. I was to new to notice at the auction and they sure were to pretty to pass up. They are a bit skiddish of me but will come fairly close for treats and I pet them each morning while they are on their roost when I come to let them in the run. Their nest are ready with the ceramic eggs in them that look just like reg. eggs. I love to watch them rumble down the hill in the run, well their yard actually it is 12x20 ft. All covered. Thanks jean

9. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    [​IMG] My Lt Brahmas started laying at about 21 weeks, and I was surprised - expecting 6 months or older. I've got Dks and Buffs that will reach 6 mos the first of December, and I'm thinking it will be a little later due to cooler weather, although Brahmas are supposed to be reliable winter layers. Can't wait to find out! I love my Brahmas [​IMG] !

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    crazy hen You say you've noticed feathers in the coop. They may be moulting. This week I've noticed alot of feathers in the coop. If I'm correct about who's starting to moult and who is not in my coop then the reason I still have six not laying is because they are going to moult first. That's not uncommon.
    Keep working with them about friendliness. The brahma definitely can be quite sweet and friendly. Remember the way to their heart is definitely thru their stomachs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by