BRAHMA MAHMA TRAHMA! *Very sad update...*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by swedishfish, May 13, 2009.

1. swedishfish

swedishfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Today is day 23 (I think) and when I went to check on my birds I saw a little chickie sitting a few inches away from its mommy in the nest box. It wasn't all the way dry and seemed a bit cold and weak. I ran to get my dad because it had a little dry blood on its head and I was worried about it in general anyway. He picked it up, looked at it a minute, and put it underneath her. Now I think they're okay, even though my dad said the chick seemed a bit weak. I sat by her for a while and could hear the chick cheepin' away. I don't know if it was the weak chick or another one we hadn't seen yet, but at least I know one's okay.

Also, while I was sitting there I heard some cracking noises, and got super excited. Then I heard what sounded more like a pop and thought "oh no, not a popped bad egg!" After some more cracking and cheeping I looked on the other side of the wall to see that my other birds were scratching in the dirt and kicking rocks and such onto the wall! So I'm not sure if I heard egg shell or kicked dirt... [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am so excited though and hope everyone will be alright! [​IMG] I'm going to go out and sit by them [​IMG] doing, but not really doing, my homework.

Will I be okay to pick up chick feed tomorrow after school, or should I go now? Should I just take a chill pill?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    sooo sooo excited! Gonna go sit out there with them now!

3. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    VERY BAD NEWS!!!! I went out with my homework to sit by them and saw my little guy all alone in the corner, very pathetically, with a large bald, bloody spot on his head! AAAH! His mom pecked him worse! What am I gonna do? I picked him up and tried to put him in my brooder, but just held him under the light in my hands. I am so scared. I got my neighbor's heat lamp, and I set him on a soft t-shirt, and tried to prop up his head. He's strong enough to move every once in a while, and managed to turn from his belly to his back a bit...

Here's my pictures I tried to take.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry it's upside down, that's the only way I could get the camera to fit without taking off the lamp...that's why it's red too.
    [​IMG]
    I'm so scared! I want to make him better, but I feel like I'm letting him suffer! I really don't want to cull him...but should I, to be humane?

AAAH! Please give me some advice, I have no clue what to do!!!

4. swedishfish

Apr 20, 2009
    His other eye was open a little more, and the other side was pecked a bit less. I'm going to try to clean up some of the dried blood and the blood in his nose with a q tip.....be back to see what else I should do...

5. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    OK 1rst off breath!!! You being panicked IS NOT going to help anything. If it seems to be in severe pain and/or twitching it would probably be best to cull him [​IMG] [​IMG] but if not or you want to give it one last shot mix either KAYRO syrup(<----- preferably) mixed with some HOT then some COLD water or sugar and water, and try to get at least a little down him. If his head just droops dont go ballistic (Ive pulled a few chicks back from that) try to get him to take at least a sip but only one or 2 if it can keep it down. Im sorry I cant help more but here is what I know. Good luck, sending good vibes your way [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and keep me updated. Also if you have to, you WILL KNOW if and when you need to cull it.

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Just do what you can to keep the little guy warm. Might want to get a brooder ready in case you get more chicks and have to take them out too. You don't have to rush out for feed- they can live off the yolk for 2 days or something like that. Awww poor little thing!

7. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I have only dealt with this in week old chicks. We put antibiotics without pain killer on the wound and then cornstarch to make thier heads look white again and stop the bleeding. You could try that but i heard that the antibiotics might be bad from them. [​IMG]

8. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    swedishfish wrote: His other eye was open a little more, and the other side was pecked a bit less. I'm going to try to clean up some of the dried blood and the blood in his nose with a q tip.....be back to see what else I should do...

Very smart [​IMG] I was just about to add that [​IMG]

9. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good luck. I don't have any advice for you cuz I'm new at raising babies but make sure you get your Dad's help too. I hope everything works out. [​IMG]

10. The Wolf Queen

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Happy Mtn wrote: You don't have to rush out for feed- they can live off the yolk for 2 days or something like that

Its 3 days actually.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by