brahma - male or female, colour speckled?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickengr, Jan 12, 2015.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    Hi everyone,
    I have got my brahma (about 4-5 months old) and was told it is a girl. The guy who sold it to me insists it is a girl and that she should be laying eggs in about a month. what do you think? and what colour is this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    on the last photo she/he was scared and tried to peck me. usually does not peck, eats from my hand and gets bullied by a laying pullet. my cockerel is ok with her/him, even tries to mount, did it a couple of times about a month ago. and my brahma is kind of crowing, but as a hen (I watched a video on youtube). I have got 1 cockerel, 1 laying pullet and brahma (2 pullets got sick and died).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sorry, you won't get any eggs from this Brahma. Most definitely a cockerel. He is sort of a mille fleur color, which in the US would be a project. Not sure about other countries.

3. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    He's all boy. Sorry. :(

4. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you. does not matter. I will get some girls for him!

5. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    Hes a boy :/

6. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I need help. my cockerel (about 5 months old) just mated with brahma! if brahma is a boy, how could that happen? I tried to find any answer in internet, but there is no such topic. have you ever heard that happen?

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably a dominance thing. Hens will mount other hens too.

Sometimes it seems to me that the cockerels/cocks think of one thing and will hop on anything that moves. That's why most of mine end up as chicken stew.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This bird is male, no doubt.

Male dogs mount other male dogs all the time as social dominance, and I'm pretty sure that's what your other male bird did.

9. chickengr

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    I hope they will not kill each other. till what age can they live together without many females?

10. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    How many females do you mean?
    Some males can live peacefully with another rooster in close proximity if they have been together from an early age or if the roosters are quite docile, only very aggressive roosters would actually try to kill the other.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by