brahma or columbian wyadotte

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sueandthe6, Dec 16, 2014.

1. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    so when I brought the crew home in the spring I knew zilch about chickens. someone told me this girl was a Columbian wynadotte. I had noticed on some pics they didn't have feathered feet but what did I know and it didn't really matter anyway. Still doesn't really matter- just my own sense of rightness to know what I have- a friend was at a nursery with her kid on a field trip and they had two of my wynadottes but they were brahmas. one had feathered feet and one didn't so now its all out the window. Is there a way to tell> ?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    With those pea combs and feathered legs, they are Light Brahmas, not Columbian Wyandottes.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Light Brahma. Beautiful hen!

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    X2!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Light Brahma.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This. Wyandottes have rose combs and clean legs. Here's a pic showing different comb types...

[​IMG]

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Light brahma beauty!

8. sueandthe6

sueandthe6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    southeast Pa
    thank you everyone for the info and the compliments. what's so ironic is she was part of a crew of 12 that someone was giving away free-coop, 12 girls, and two roos. I took the prettier roo-bad boy named (Evil) Bud who I did in not long after I got them all. The other roo who was apparently a brahma roo went to a friend (we didn't know he was a roo that night) and two days later she found him a new home (she didn't want any roos). That's what I get for picking the brightly colored guy...ah well. This girl is the only one that is officially named- by the girl who came to do the roof over the run-Gertrude.. She was quite the grump when I was introducing two new cochins but shes gotten over that now. Thanks again for the info all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by