Brahma roo with single comb? PICS added post #12

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SpeckledPullet, May 4, 2011.

1. SpeckledPullet

SpeckledPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I just picked up a very pretty roo today. He looks to be a crele Brahma, only he has a single comb. I was wondering, are Brahmas like Silkies in that a single comb can pop up here and there? Or, is he 100% beyond a doubt a mixed breed? The farm he came from had mostly Brahmas running around and a few Ameraucanas here and there.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:I bet he's a mutt.

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Quote:It can happen but the odds of winning the lottery are likely better. It tells you that likely both parents are impure for pea comb gene, they are P/p+ r+/r+ not P/P r+/r+ as they should be.

4. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    I will have to post pics of him.

Maybe someone was experimenting with the crele color and mixed in something else? That's all I can think of. Either way, he's a pretty boy.

I might even be wrong about his color. I have to get a look at him again. I'm 90% sure he is crele, but maybe he's just partridge x cuckoo.

5. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Partridge x cuckoo is the starting point some are using to get a crele look. If I remember correctly to avoid the washed out crele look you need the double barring genes of a bird like a barred Rock rather than a cuckoo. There are some who have mixed cochin in to the mix with there project flocks also. So you may have a project bird from a line that hasn't gone through enough generations of selection.

6. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Quote:X2... Or just a mutt [​IMG]

7. kstaven

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Depends on how you define the word mutt.

8. KansasBoy

KansasBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Topeka
    Quote:Guess that term is thrown around a lot these days... I guess I would consider anything not purebred or specifically bred to create a designer breed (like A&M or Tuxedo Coturnix)

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    $10 says he's a mutt. Crele is not a found or known color of Brahmas in the US, maybe someone can correct me, but also - Single combs are recessive to pea. It would take some mixed up breeding to achieve what you have.

Does he look like a Brahma should? [​IMG]

10. SpeckledPullet

Jan 24, 2010
    Northeast Florida
    Quote:Pretty close. [​IMG]

He's certainly not a SQ Brahma. I know crele isn't found here, which is why I was thinking maybe somebody was trying to breed for that color and mixed in something else a few generations back?

I have to run some errands, but will get pics of him as soon as I get back. I'll be curious for opinions on what he really is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by