1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma Rooster, Black Austerlorp and GC Roosters Crowing and Fertility

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ldrwnorman47, Oct 6, 2011.

1. ldrwnorman47

ldrwnorman47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    I have around 35 girls and 5 guys. My Golden comet is full comb and wattles no crow yet when will these dudes man up and crow??
    My other 4 guys arent quite there yet comb and wattles wise? Will my eggs be fertile yet?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are several different things that will determine whether or not your eggs are fertile yet. A huge part of that is the age of the roosters and the age of the hens, but there are some other things that affect it. You might try cracking your eggs and see if you can see the bull's eye. This thread has photos that might help.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

Some roosters start trying to crow at an very young age, like a few weeks. Some don't until they are 20 weeks old or even older. Why the big difference, I don't know. Some people think it is purely a dominance thing, but I have not observed that. I've seen plenty of not dominant roosters crow in the presence of the dominant rooster.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by