1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahma rooster with regular hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by megsmum, Oct 22, 2015.

1. megsmum

megsmum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    I have nine regular size hens,. I have been offered a rooster and 2 ladies Brahmas. Now my question is

How will the Brahma fit it with the regular size girls, will he cause a problem for them?

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    Is he a standard sized Brahma? I have a Brahma hen, and she's about the same size as my other girls, so I don't think it would be a problem if your other hens are standard sized.

3. twisted-acres-farm

twisted-acres-farm Maiah and daughter dob aug 2, 2017 Premium Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Dickinson, North Dakota
    I have Brahma's the only thing to keep an eye on would be his spurs they can get quite large. Other wise all my them seem a little nicer then the other breeds of roo's I have. But make sure all your current hens are standard/large fowl types.

4. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    Hi thanks the others are similar to say Wyandotte or white Sussex. The other thought is to get two brahma hens but a dwarf brahma cockerel

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    About any breed of cock spurs can get very large.

Bantam(dwarf) cock might not be able to fertilize large fowl hens...they just can't reach the right spot.

6. megsmum

Feb 5, 2015
    Thats ok we are not into breeding, Mmm or maybe[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by