Brahma rooster with very stiff legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wvsweetie, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Wvsweetie

Wvsweetie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2014
    I adopted Romeo about one month ago from a breeder . She claimed that her other roosters were picking on him and wanted to rehouse him since he was such a sweet boy. Not sure how old he is. He started out with very stiff legs but got around pretty good. Now after five days of limping around he can't put any weight on one leg. He's hobbling a few steps and laying down. I carry him at times when I see him struggling. No apparent break in leg, he doesn't flinch on examination. How can I help him?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There are several possiblities, other than a broken/sprained leg: Marek's Disease and a vitamin deficiency are perhaps the most likely of the other possibilities.

Here is a link on Marek's Disease:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

A vitamin deficiency isn't all that likely, but it is possible. You can try giving him some poultry vitamins or poly vi sol infant vitamins (without iron) from a supermarket. If its a vitamin deficiency, with supplemental viatmins, you should see improvement in a couple weeks.

Its possible that he sprained his leg, but because this progressed slowly, I don't think that this is likely the reason. Still, isolating him in a well-bedded cage and giving supportive treatment (electrolytes, good food/water) could help the leg heal, if this is the case.

3. Wvsweetie

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Have you by chance looked underneath his feet to see if he may have a bumblefoot ? It would appear as a darkened area.brown or black scab formation..if so it can be treated....

1 person likes this.
  5. Wvsweetie

Aug 19, 2014
    I'll do that ... He also has some brown looking scabs on his waddle that weren't there 4 days ago

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by