Brahma? Sussex? Which is better?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by owlett5, Aug 15, 2007.

1. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    I'm looking to start a small backyard flock but I don't know what type of chicken to get! I've heard so many different things about different breeds from breeds descriptions online but I'm looking for some personal experience from some forum members. I'm looking for something very friendly, egg laying is a plus but not the most important thing, and I'm certainly not going to eat them! lol.

I've heard that Brahma's make good pets, but I've also heard that the Speckled sussex is a good bird too. I live in the city so I'm trying to find something that also isn't too big, so bantams are probably where I'll head, however, I've also been under the impression that bantams are really flighty and wild. I want something that wants to hang out with me and likes pets.

Any ideas?

2. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I have a sussex roo and he is huge ( and pretty aggressive.)
    For something smallish, I like auracanas (plus they lay green eggs, which are neat.) I have Buff Orphingtons that are very pretty and friendly, as well as Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks....oh, heck, I love 'em all!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Two breeds, hands down-
    Barred Plymouth Rocks
    Buff Orpingtons

Both are good layers, although some Buff Orps tend to go broody occasionally. I have one that does and one that never has. Barred Rocks are awesome for egg laying consistency and pet-ability.

4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Bantam cochins are awsome as pets. Even the roos are just big babies. If you go with bantams, cochins have my vote. One drawback to bantams is that they don't come sexed. You will probably end up with as many roos as hens.

Gayle
    Chi lady in Michigan

5. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I'm a Brahma Momma! But my buff cochins are the friendliest!

6. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    i totally agree. bantam cochins are very sweet. my roo that i got (accidently) was a real sweet heart, he loved me! i also have a bantam cochin pullet, and shes alright, but she really needs attention from my other chicken otherwise she goes nuts. taking a rooster out can really be hard on the little things.

7. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    My favorite is my silkies [​IMG]

I think they are the Friendliest, and so Sweet!
    I also have bantam cochins also very sweet!

I used to think the more you hold them the friendlier they will be!

I was wrong I also have americanas they don't want to be held anymore ((@ 13 weeks)) and they are flighty ((will still follow you around and eat out of hand but definitly not a lap bird))

I just ordered Brahmas, (I also heard they were friendly they also have bantams) more silkies because they are so friendly & polish they are a little skidish but great to watch!

eggs are an excuse for me to get MORE chickens so!

((this is what I read))

silkies - brahma ((3 eggs a wk))
    cochins - polish ((2 eggs a wk))

@ http://www.mypetchicken.com/chickenBreeds.aspx

which
    tells you about all the breeds Good Luck & show us pictures when you get your chicks!!

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do have both Brahmas and one Speckled Sussex girl, but only my Lt Brahma is laying and the Buff Brahma and SS girl haven't started yet. They are about equal with their temperament, although the Buff Brahma is more skittish than the other two.

9. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    [​IMG]

This is great information! Thank you much. So it sounds to me that the Cochins are probably the most friendly, but aren't they HUGE?? About how big are the eggs in the bantam version compared to the large breed?

10. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I love cochin bantams, their eggs are like the smalls you buy in store. but don't buy cochin bantams for egg production. They like to go broody. their egg production is very poor compared to production layers.

But there is nothing any prettier than the hen/rooster running in yard w/10-12 chicks that don't care who they go under when they are tired or cold. The roosters don't care either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by