Brahma v Araucana rooster for breeding

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
I currently have a mixed flock of birds which I have been hatching from the start of 2020, some of the pullets have now come into lay. The breeds that I have are Orpington's, Brahmas, Cream Legbars and Warrens. Initially I wanted to keep a Brahma rooster for breeding so I kept two back so that I could decide on which one to keep, they're currently around 3 months old but I'm starting to have second thoughts, they are very big boys and I'm not sure if the smaller girls like the cream legbars would be able to handle the weight of the Brahma during mating. I was thinking of swapping them out for a lavender araucana instead what do you guys think? Also would any chicks that I hatch who are araucana crosses lay blue/green eggs? Which breed would make for more interesting looking offspring, I haven't decided on which Brahma to keep yet, one of them is blue and the other is black. Thankyou

Your little girls will have no problem with the weight of a brahma, particularly a young Brahma. That "squatting" behavior you see takes all the weight off the legs, allowing the ribcage/keel and haunches to distribute weight over a much larger area of the ground, thus reducing stress on them.

I had a 12# + CornishX Roo (don't ask) trying to mount my not even 4# Comets. No injuries to the Comets. At not even a year old, I doubt your Brahma is much more than half that weight, even if he looks much larger. I brought Brahma into the flock in May of this year, the hens are sitting around 5.5#, guessing your Roo is closer to 7#? Orps tend towards large, Legbar towards moderate.

I'd have no concerns.

Can't speak to egg color, still learning genetics, mostly by making mistakes.

Your little girls will have no problem with the weight of a brahma, particularly a young Brahma. That "squatting" behavior you see takes all the weight off the legs, allowing the ribcage/keel and haunches to distribute weight over a much larger area of the ground, thus reducing stress on them.

I had a 12# + CornishX Roo (don't ask) trying to mount my not even 4# Comets. No injuries to the Comets. At not even a year old, I doubt your Brahma is much more than half that weight, even if he looks much larger. I brought Brahma into the flock in May of this year, the hens are sitting around 5.5#, guessing your Roo is closer to 7#? Orps tend towards large, Legbar towards moderate.

I'd have no concerns.

Can't speak to egg color, still learning genetics, mostly by making mistakes.
Thank you very much for this information. Yes my Orpington's are very big and fluffy girls it was the cream legbars that I was worried about but after reading what you said about the squatting I'm no longer too concerned. I think I'm going to keep the brahma rooster as they all get along together very well, also I love the fluffy feathered legs and feet.

Thank you very much for this information. Yes my Orpington's are very big and fluffy girls it was the cream legbars that I was worried about but after reading what you said about the squatting I'm no longer too concerned. I think I'm going to keep the brahma rooster as they all get along together very well, also I love the fluffy feathered legs and feet.
I have two brahma hens and 16 other chickens of various breeds, my brahma are my favorites. They are sweet gentle giants. They were adults when I got them and were never handled, and yet they still turned into lap girls.

I have two brahma hens and 16 other chickens of various breeds, my brahma are my favorites. They are sweet gentle giants. They were adults when I got them and were never handled, and yet they still turned into lap girls.
I've got 4 brahma hens all hand raised and like you said they are gentle giants, its amazing how friendly they are, they're also very welcoming to new members of the flock.

I would prefer the lavender araucana for a mixed flock. He would produce offspring that laid green eggs (or blue if you have other araucanas or white egg layers). All of his chicks will also be split for lavender and when you start breeding those chicks together you'll get all kinds of interesting colors depending on how the lavender gene affects thes various colors and patterns in your mixed flock.

Back
Top Bottom