Brahma vs Cochin Rooster

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EColson15, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Brahma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Cochin

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. EColson15

EColson15 New Egg

Feb 10, 2016
    Quick question(s):
    We are in search of a good rooster to cross over our Ranger hens, and had a couple questions for anyone who has either Cochins or Brahmas. Which grows faster? Are they both pretty calm? Any specific problems you have had with either breed?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I have a bantam cochin rooster, 3 standard hens and raised a brahma cockerel a while ago (he was ultimately rehomed) and our cochin is 10x sweeter than the brahma was, I am not sure which feathered out sooner or grew faster as mine are all adults now and its been a while since we had that brahma. My only concern with the breeds is their silly feathered feet! They can get muddy and if they're too big (like in a booted bantam chicken) it can actually cause feet problems or toe problems, though we've been pretty lucky with out birds :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    Honestly, I love both so I don't know. They are both usually kind and very beautiful!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

If you're wanting the offspring to be meat birds, my vote is a resounding neither. They're both slow to mature, they're mostly bone and feather until approaching a year old. Pick something that's bred for meat production instead, something faster maturing like a good Rock or Delaware, a Wyandotte wouldn't be a bad choice either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by