brahma welsummer cross

glenn74

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 11, 2014
Hi guys was wondering does anyone have any ideas on laying times/ages of my hens iv been told so many diferent storys up to a year old any sound advice would be great i think my hens are a good 6 months old now and nothing as yet should i just be patiant of start fatening for x.mass thats a joke by the way

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most breeds start to lay somewhere between 5 and 7 months of age. But being that this is the dead of winter, the short days can cause some birds to hold off on the laying. Cold snaps, cramped quarters in the coop, too many roosters and other stresses can cause them not to lay well either. Are the combs really red yet and have they started to squat for you? These are good indicators that they will be laying soon.

Just be patient. Make sure you are keeping the stress down in the coop. If they are free ranging, make sure they are not laying out in the field somewhere and keep some fake eggs in the nest boxes to entice them to lay in the boxes.

Good luck and I hope they start laying soon!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

X2 on Two Crows. Most hens begin laying by 6 months of age, but stress, decreasing daylight hours, and genetics can all influence exactly when they start.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows' advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting eggs soon.

Back
Top Bottom