Brahmas/Cochins not laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HuestisFarm, Oct 14, 2008.

1. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    My Light Brahmas & my Cochins have yet to start laying. Could I possibly just be confusing the eggs I'm getting with some of theirs? They're all about a year old & the person I got them from said he wasn't getting many eggs from them. I know they don't officially mature until they're around 2y/o, but I've heard they begin laying way before this! Is there something I should be doing for them that I'm not??

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    At a year old your brahmas should be laying. Past the pullet egg stage I've found most of my brahma eggs are almost round (or rounder than a store bought egg at least) and have the lovely color of a porcelain doll's face. Not quite pink, but a pretty beige. Do any of your eggs look like that?
    Beyond providing them with their layer feed and oyster shell I don't know of anything that you can do different.
    Here's a bump so maybe someone else will weigh in on it.

3. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Yeah - a lot of my eggs look like this... but all of my chickens are brown egg layers... *hehe* (except for my Bantams & my three Leghorns). I don't know - they're getting their laying mash & their oyster shells.... I guess I can just crack it up to the changing of the season & the shorter days. We've yet to get a light up in their coop.

Thanks for the reply, though... I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something for them that I should be. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by