Brahmas (feathered legs) and snow — cause for concern?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything but I love this site. 💕 I just made my spring chick order and despite the fact that I’ve been in the chicken raising business for years now, I kind of didn’t realize/forgot that Brahmas have leg feathers, which I’ve always rather avoided thinking they would get messy and a bit of an inconvenience. But of course, not realizing what I was doing, I included a beautiful Buff Brahma in this year’s order as I couldn’t get my usual favorite Buff bird, the Orpington. I have read that Brahmas are indeed supposed to be cold-hardy, which would make sense given their abundant feathering and large bodies, but I’ve also seen some things about feathered-leg chickens having trouble with their leg feathers causing issues by collecting snow and ice. Does anyone have experience with such breeds and snowy climates? Should I change my order and not get the Brahma?

It's totally up to you, of course. But leg feathers are on my "not gonna deal with that" list. Snow, mud, dirt... I just don't want to make work for myself that I wish later that I didn't have to do.

I can enjoy them in pictures! They look like they have pants. :)

It's totally up to you, of course. But leg feathers are on my "not gonna deal with that" list. Snow, mud, dirt... I just don't want to make work for myself that I wish later that I didn't have to do.

Have you had a feathered-leg breed? What extra care did you have to provide?

Oh boy.... I hope I don’t regret this. Can you trim their leg feathers at all, or do they retain blood in the shafts?

Hi everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything but I love this site. 💕 I just made my spring chick order and despite the fact that I’ve been in the chicken raising business for years now, I kind of didn’t realize/forgot that Brahmas have leg feathers, which I’ve always rather avoided thinking they would get messy and a bit of an inconvenience. But of course, not realizing what I was doing, I included a beautiful Buff Brahma in this year’s order as I couldn’t get my usual favorite Buff bird, the Orpington. I have read that Brahmas are indeed supposed to be cold-hardy, which would make sense given their abundant feathering and large bodies, but I’ve also seen some things about feathered-leg chickens having trouble with their leg feathers causing issues by collecting snow and ice. Does anyone have experience with such breeds and snowy climates? Should I change my order and not get the Brahma?
I have a Buff Brahma and I don't do anything extra for her feet. She seems to take care of it on her own. On a rainy day, her foot feathers can look bedraggled when she goes in the coop, but by the next morning they are fluffy again.
Our winters are snowy and cold which I think helps as she doesn't have to deal with melting/freezing cycles. Our run is very snowy and she marches around in the snow with no complaints, but again our snow is cold and fluffy, not wet and sloppy.

Same here! I have enough to do without worrying about snow or ice balls in leg feathers! NOT going there!

I have a Buff Brahma and I don't do anything extra for her feet. She seems to take care of it on her own. On a rainy day, her foot feathers can look bedraggled when she goes in the coop, but by the next morning they are fluffy again.
Our winters are snowy and cold which I think helps as she doesn't have to deal with melting/freezing cycles. Our run is very snowy and she marches around in the snow with no complaints, but again our snow is cold and fluffy, not wet and sloppy.

Thanks for sharing your experience! That makes me feel better, that it may turn out okay after all. We are in MN so our winters do tend to be frigid and snowy rather than chilly and wet. Not that it never gets wet or muddy (we get plenty of that in the spring).

I’m hoping also that because she is a hatchery chick she may not have the fluffiest of feathering?? First time I have hoped against SOP-leaning quality. 😂

Back
Top Bottom