Brahmas Now with additional pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrsfoote, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So I have two Brahmas a standard size Light brahma named lucy and a buff bantam brahma named butter cup both are 19 weeks old....People in the gender section have conflicting opinions as to weather lucy is actually a she....I would think by 19 weeks she would look more roosterish and act more roosterish buttercups comb and wattle just about 2 weeks ago finally got red and Lucy's are still pinkish orange and just coming in. She's never crowed she has no cape she has those hackle feathers that my buff have but her feathers are round beneath that she sits in the nest box she breaks up the little bickerings that happen usually when one of our booted bantam roos mount one of the girls and they don't like it and no spurs so I'm quite conflicted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i have more pics if needed hope these help

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. I don't know.. My Dark Brahma Roo is a lot older than my other roos that were (meaning before Freezer Camp) crowing and mating 2 weeks ago and he still hasn't started. I know he is a roo but he hasn't started anything yet.

3. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] So whats the opinion I know its probably a roo im going to go crawl into a hole and cry

[​IMG]

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I can't help much on the gender(looks girly to me)- but that's not a light brahma- it's a dark.

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I believe the Standard light is a male, what do you men when you say she doesn't have a cape. Does she have striped saddle feathers? Don

6. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:The light looks to be a light but with too much dark undercolor causing too much black, Don

7. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Yea she doesn't really have saddle feathers just the pointy ones right on top of the head then they get rounded around the neck and shoulder area now another brahma in question is buttercup was told she was a girl too....I'm starting to dislike this chicken buisness lol

[​IMG]

8. To me, they both look like girls.

9. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    The light is very poorly colored, so its hard to tell. Looks like it does have male saddles though. The Buff looks like it has male saddles comming in right where the back meets the tail. Especially in the photo with both birds. Did you notice that Don? I think theres about a 90% chance both are males. The standard is either a very poorly colored light, or a light/dark cross. BTW standards are much slower to mature than bantams.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    [​IMG] Going to go crawl into a hole

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by