1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brahmas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken Salad, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    My chicken daddy (a friend - former 4-H agent who has a poultry operation) says I should get started with Brahmas. What do folks think of them as a "beginner's" bird?

My playhouse conversion henhouse is only 16sq ft inside...since Brahmas are bigger - will I have to cut down from my projected 4 to 3? Are they friendly? Are they durable (that is, forgiving of flaws in a beginner's knowledge/experience base)?

Thanks.

2. chiknlady

chiknlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    SE PA
    I love my Brahmas--I think they are a nice laying, heavy bird that is attractive to look at. I have buffs and I am looking to add more come spring. For our climate on the east coast--they have decent feathering to survive winter. I would recommend them, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, or Barred Rocks for beginning a flock. Good luck in making your choice--I think MyPetChicken.com has a breed selector tool depending on your needs...

3. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    One of the best breeds for beginners. Super gentle and easy to handle. Your 16 square feet should be OK for four if they can be let out a bit during the day.

4. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Your 16 sq ft will be fine for 4 Brahmas. In my opinion you could go to 5 birds if you want. All they do is sleep in there. In the winter you will see them "cuddling" in half that space.

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    It will take Brahma's 18 to 24 months to fully mature.They have such a big frame so it will take them longer fill out.

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Brahmas are very good for beginners, they handle cold very well and handle heat moderately well. They are one of my friendliest birds, and their big size turns away a few predators (though their slow walk makes them easy for the ones that still go after them).

7. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    If space is a big concern, why not go with bantam Brahmas?

8. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Quote:That's a great point I hadn't thought of - the big size turning away some predators. Thanks!

9. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    My two stayed broody half the summer.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If I were to tell you here on this forum about all the beginner's mistakes I made with my brahmas people would think I was a total idiot, instead of just a partial one. [​IMG]
    My brahmas are very calm and very forgiving of mistakes. They handled our extremely hot and humid summer just fine and now the cold is not bothering them a bit. Our building a coop around them, instead of before they were actually in it, hasn't bothered them either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by