Brahmas

If you're able, I would also recommend ordering chicks directly from a hatchery. Local breeders are good too, but there are pros and cons to both.
Yea I will look into that as well. Really brahmas are the only other ones I want at the moment. That’s why when the lady said they had some at tractor supply I was like yes I’ll take 4 and can be done for awhile! She got me lol.

Good Morning :)
I bought all my birds besides a few from tractor supply. I did do my research FIRST because I know they like to put multiple breeds in the same metal container.
When I went, the women helping me told me that all the brahmas had been sold out but she “thinks” the other fuzzy legged birds were Ameraucana’s (we all know how that went). Come to find out when they got a little older I noticed they were BUFF Brahmas! And because she told me they were not brahmas, I went to another tractor supply who had light brahmas available and bought 5 of them! So now, I’m here with 10 Brahma birds 😂🤣 Half Light and Half Buff. I’ve posted multiple photos on my “New Chicken Keeper” post just to share with people :)
I still laugh because I should have known better, but in reality, I’m loving it 😅
One of my Brahmas was a rooster, he started off as Karen then soon after became Kevin, so we call his “group”, Kevin and The Girls. All the other chickens leave them alone but it’s so funny how BIG he is compared to the rest of the birds. WOW!
I wish you could have got what they said, but there is always next year? D7637FC7-B1F0-4765-B971-67F234697F83.jpeg E73F9CAE-E87B-457F-A4BA-DBB4470F0393.jpeg

All else aside, you're going to have to make arrangements for several of your roosters. They'll be very aggressive to each other, and they will overbreed the few hens you have.

Also, consider your area's high and low temps when choosing breeds. I have a few Brahma hens and a couple of orpingtons, and the heat and humidity of our central Texas summers are hard on them. Our big, heavy bodied and densely feathered chickens tend to stay under the tractor or other shady spot, and their laying decreases.

Back
Top Bottom