Brahma's ???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SweetLilRachy00, Nov 2, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I am currently still trying to figure out the breeds of my chickens....but I have two that look almost EXACTLY like the Brahma's only they don't have all the leg fluff.....Although, they were only hatched in July (14th). Is it possible that maybe they will gain this as they mature??

TIA!! [​IMG]

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Some Brahmas do not have a lot of leg feathering. Cynthia (Speckled hen) has a buff Brahma, Caroline, she does not have a lot of feathers on her leg. Maybe we can get Cynthia to post a photo of sweet Caroline?

Adam

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You could have Brahmas with inadequate feathering, but check the combs. If they have single combs, they could be Lt Sussex. They dont really get better foot feathering as they mature-if they had little as chicks, they'll have little as adults, usually. Here's the Buff Brahma, Caroline, who has little foot feathering. My Lt. Brahma girl has a little more-her pic is last:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    That's what my white ones look like! Not quite as fat, but they're getting there!! Woohoo! I've identified two chickens!

Only 10 more to go! [​IMG]

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Caroline is beautiful Cyn...here's a pic of one of my Lt. Brahma's thinking she's queen of the waterer.

[​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Brahmas are very pretty girls, aren't they? Yours is very sweet-looking. I get more compliments on my Brahmas when people unfamiliar with them see them than any other girls I have. People like the Lt. Brahma, Miranda, but they are completely in love with my caramel-colored Caroline. Mine are fantastic layers of very round eggs-Caroline's is a light porcelain color and looks remarkably like a golf ball without the dimples, LOL.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Brahmas are great birds!!...I find raising mine that their leg feathering diminishes some as they grow older and especially when they moult......My brahma rooster really looses his leg feathers from mating ...when I penned him this past summer his leg feathers grew back in nicely...I'm sure if I penned the hens alone their leg feathers would increase too....

I always get compliments on the Brahamas... just not raised around here...great winter laying bird...

8. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I've got a Brahma too. She's pictured on my avatar and here's another couple. I wasn't sure what she was since I got her from a local farm and they did the school egg project. They just had lots of babies that needed homes. That's where I came in. [​IMG]

So do you think she is a Brahma? She's obviously light on the feathered legs, but that's okay since I've got them free ranging. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one shows how little she has for leg feathers.

This is the same photo as the avatar, taken when she was a bit younger.
    [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yep!...she is a light brahma.....

10. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. That's great...so now I know what two of my four are.

Don't mean to throw this thread off track, but can anyone tell me what you think these two are? [​IMG] Thank you.
    First is Mr. Ed the Roo. I think he's a big mix.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And second is Gladys. I think she's an Ameraucana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a closeup of her coloring.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by