Braided rugs? anyone?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by verthandi, Oct 2, 2010.

1. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    My Grandmother taught me to braid eons ago. I have made some regular oval rugs over the years, but have not made any recently. I have been saving my wool as it has gotten so expensive and the local mills have gone out of business. I remembered my Grandmother making some with scraps of carpet for the center instead of all braided, so I check out a flooring store for discontinued samples.....jackpot! 100% wool carpet samples to use for the centers. This is a work in progress, it was going to be a Christmas gift...but I have a feeling it might never leave my house.

[​IMG]

edited because I can't spell worth beans tonight. (and what to heck does that mean anyway?)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Very pretty! Too pretty to step on... [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    That's gorgeous! I'd keep it too, get them something else........[​IMG] Love the colours [​IMG]

4. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I think I am going to have to make two of them before Christmas or guilt will set in....it was going to be for Mom, but it is more my colors. It is even darker colored than the photo...like the colors that would have been in an old sitting parlor.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    I've made a few, I haven't had time since competition season began!

6. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    OH I love that rug, the colors & everything!!!!!! Great job!

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Wow that's really pretty. I haven't made braided rugs but I've done a couple small crocheted ones using a great big Q sized hook and strips of fabric. I'll look to see if I have pictures somewhere.

8. verthandi

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    Quote:Did you make them with cotton fabric or something else? I had someone ask me yesterday to teach them how to braid, but the wool is ridiculously expensive. I'm thinking that denim might work.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I love the rag rugs and those frames are so expensive. My aunt made some and they were goreous!

10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:Did you make them with cotton fabric or something else? I had someone ask me yesterday to teach them how to braid, but the wool is ridiculously expensive. I'm thinking that denim might work.

I use strips left over from quilting. (I've got bag of them, lol) Cut them about 1in to 2 inches wide at the most tops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by