Brain injury - Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Misskelleygirl, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Misskelleygirl

Misskelleygirl New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    My sweet Duckie, a splash Silkie chicken, had a piece of wood squish him (not fall, but slid rather...over him), into the grass of our backyard. He popped up fine when I ran over and grabbed it off of him.

48 hours later, wobbly legs...walking, but unbalanced.

65 hours later...he's much worse. Unable to control his legs much. Flopping around, etc.

It's heartbreaking!!! (These are our pets. We have 2.)

The incident happened on Friday...Vet on Tuesday, after the 4th of July Holiday. A Dr who specializes in birds.

Gave Meloxicam....

We're day 2 of medicine, and I started Vitamin drops as well.

He's eating well (he was this morning, anyway)...and drinking.

Just a few hours later, he's not able to barely balance himself in his carpeted coop.

Do i wait it out??

Or do we have him put down?

I'm so torn. This little guy is just the BEST chicken!! So very sweet and spunky...I don't want him to suffer...but if he can improve and Toodle around...I'm a stay-at-home mom, and have the time to nurture him.

But I feel like he's just getting worse and worse.

It's killing me to see him like this!!

[​IMG]

Anyone w any experience? I'd like to hear any thoughts!

2. BackyardFlock17

BackyardFlock17 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2016
    If you believe he is in pain, euthinasia is the path to take. If you think he can pull through, continue with the treatment. Ask your vet for advice, as well.

3. Misskelleygirl

Misskelleygirl New Egg

Feb 29, 2016
    Boise, Idaho
    Thank you BackyardFlock17...I did so last Thursday night, at MN...after snuggling him all day.

He had started having seizures that evening, and was just a sweet chicken in a worthless body.

All of us took our turn snuggling and loving him...and then I drove him to our vet. He was awake and calm...with eyes gazing up at me. He was vwry peaceful.

Losing him has been heartbreaking. Our house is so quiet now. He brought such life to it!

We will be missing him for a long time to come.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by