Brainstorming Ideas for my run help please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aim0474, Sep 1, 2016.

1. aim0474

aim0474 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    So this is my coop. The spot it is going into is along my fence near my greenhouse. I want to attach run to it along my fence about 2.5 ft wide x 10 ft long. My question involves how I am going to get the little door to the right open and closed so the girls can get into the run during the day time. I cant afford an auto door right now, but I will save up for it.

The door opens out and I wont be able to stand in the run near the coop because it has to be below the fence line right there. As the ground moves down in the run, I will be able to stand. I dont mind crouching to turn the litter, but I am not keep to crawl through there to open the door every day.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Make sure the run is predator proof and just leave the door open or remove it.

3. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I have no idea why I had not thought of that as an option. I guess I felt like I should be able to lock them inside the smaller run on the coop to keep them safe.

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Do you mean the small human door or the chicken pop door? If it's the chicken pop door, could you switch the hinges to the top and use a pulley from the outside?

5. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    This is the door I am talking about. I am going to remove those stones (and helpful dog) and build the run right there. But I can only go 61" tall for it to be under the fence line. I am going to Fort Knox the run so I will just take this door off and let them have free access to it. That makes the most sense in this situation.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I wanted to bump this up just to be sure I am clear on this coop before I put the girls in it in a few weeks.

The pop door (I think it is called) doesn't actually have a door on it. So I wont be closing them in at night. Once they get up they can come into the run as well as the bottom of the coop.

Should I put a door into the roost or can I really just give them access to the entire coop and run at all times?

The run I built is super secure though I know that you are never as prepared as you think you are.

Thanks!

7. josher57

josher57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Alabama

I'm with Jennyf, take the hinges off the side and move them to the top. Attach a small handle or eyebolt at the bottom of the door. Tie string to the eye bolt and run it up, of of the run where you have access to it. Then the down opens up and down. You can tie it off up top and leave it open all the time. But its still there if the need arrived and you had to close your chicks up in a hurry. That's what i did with my coop door. Always open, but still available if needed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by