Bramahs chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by turbonut, Apr 27, 2016.

1. turbonut

turbonut New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    San jacinto , Ca
    Hello all I'm new to the chicken world and I have a quick question. How big should a 1.5 week old bramah chick be? I purchased two from a breeder the other day and when they were brought to me they were smaller then my 4 day old Easter eggers. I know brahmas get to be a big bird but should they be so small. I figured since they get to be a decent size that the chicks should be a decent size too. Am I wrong?[​IMG][/IMG]

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Most of the larger breeds (Brahmas, Jersey Giants, etc) won't necessarily be huge as chicks. You'll notice the size increase as they age, especially at full maturity - most of these breeds take significantly longer to reach their max maturity than your smaller fowl.

3. turbonut

turbonut New Egg

Apr 27, 2016
    San jacinto , Ca
    Thank you for the info I appreciate it

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    All my Brahma chicks were the same size as the other breeds I had with them in the same brooder. All my Brahmas also required two full years to reach their ultimate ponderous size.

I still have an eight year old Brahma hen from my very first batch of chicks.

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    There are bantam brahmas too. Mine are standards, were normal size chicks, and have kept pace with the other breeds in terms of growth rate so far. They are currently 7 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by