Bramblefir's New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bramblefir, Feb 7, 2015.

1. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    We originally built our coop inside of the barn, but my husband has decided it's time for the chooks to have a space of their own. I have to agree!

I used Excel to make a quick schematic for us to work from and I think I've mostly got it how I want it. We've also picked a spot for the coop and will be starting to prep the site once the weather dries out a bit. Why does it always have to rain on weekends?.

Coop Schematic:

[​IMG]

So, a 12' x 12' coop for the chickens with a 3' x 6' area for the pair of geese I'm getting and a 2' x 3' area for storage. Roosts will have a poop board under them for easy cleaning. Nest boxes will be mounted on the wall to allow more space for the chickens. We will look for some old windows to place on the south wall (the one with the pop door). They'll have free-range of around 1.5 acres of pasture with a 60 acre hillside full of tasty ticks nearby.

I'll add some site pictures as soon as I can get some without soaking my camera!

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Looks good! Can't wait to see some pictures.

3. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks!

The coop is going to be inside of a half-circle of firs. The trees should shelter the coop significantly from bad weather and are dense enough that the chickens can range under them when it's rainy without getting wet.

My husband and DD are in the picture measuring out the pop door side.
    [​IMG]

Looking away from the coop location. We haven't run the goats over this area yet so there's still quite a few blackberries.
    [​IMG]

Now we're just waiting for the cinderblocks to show up at the store so we can lay out and level the foundation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by