Brams Better Breeding Project.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Brams birds, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Brams birds

Brams birds New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    The Brams better breeding project is 16 months of hybridization and stabilization of genetics to produce bigger quail. At Brams birds we are committed to making the Coturnix quail a better choice for urban areas. Brams birds hope to increase size of both egg and birds. Work will be continued on the Texas A&M and the jumbo brown to make the Brams better white and the Bram's better brown.

2. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    thats an awesome idea, What stock are you starting with? if your going with bigger eggs, try some of paul vails stock, got a shipment this weekend of his Jumbo birds, and the eggs are absolutely massive! I am also trying for bigger birds now. working with a friends to get a good base of jumbo breeding

3. Brams birds

Brams birds New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    I will be going with some James Marie farms eggs after I have worked the current stock. I have taken the largest I can find from local breeders in the A&M. I had to insure my jumbo brown where jumbo. I have hatched a bunch of different lines and selected for the browns.I will look into the Paul Vails line.

4. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    And With Pauls birds, i am not sure as to how large the adults are, but The eggs were huge. I have some XLD1 pharaoh eggs from james marie due in a week. Excited for those

5. Brams birds

Brams birds New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    James Marie is a great line. I hope to get as big or bigger than Redgate farms in Australia. They have what they call "Jurassic quail". Any way hybrid vigor being what it is this should have some great results in the end.

6. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Yes I am with you all the way on that. Hopefully we get some nice size bird down the road. Maybe eventually trade stock down the road if we both have nice birds

7. Brams birds

Brams birds New Egg

Feb 22, 2015
    I will post with info on here. I need a new scale so I can weigh in.

8. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Awesome :)

9. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Paul Vail and Strombergs chickens both started their lines from JMF stock although it is far enough removed now to be considered for each, their own "line".

10. WaterfowlWierdo

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    About 1/3rd of my jumbo eggs from Vails were double yolkers, which is great, for eating. What do you think my chances are of getting any to live through hatching? My JMF Jumbos are due on saturday. Very excited for them.

Don, Do you know where Alissa Coker started her stock from? I know she is holding back birds from JMF's XLD1's But they are only chicks now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by