1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Branches or 2x4's?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 9, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Need ideas for roosts....what do you find they like the best? Should I also make mini roosts for the chicks in the brooder. I remember when I got my parrot that we had to teach him to perch. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm not sure what your climate is like, Sassy, but I would recommend 2x4 boards, with the broad side up. That way, if it's cold, your chickens can sit on their feet, which helps them to avoid frostbite.

[​IMG]

3. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Good thought...thanks! We are in Western Mass, so it does get fairly cold here in the winter. The barn is partially below ground, so it doesn't usually go below 20 degrees at it's coldest. Being that I am getting the chicks next week, I think I will put a light in the coop over the winter once they are ready. I know I like a little extra warmth on a cold day.[​IMG]

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Sounds like a great idea! [​IMG]

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    We always use large diameter branches. At least 2-3 inch thick. In the winter time they are still able to cover their feet. Round perches are better for their feet. I would personally never make them sit on a board. It's just not how their feet are made. Would they sit on a board in the wild? I certainly don't want to sound like I'm knocking other peoples opinions though, These are just my opinions on the matter.
    ETA: We do provide a 1" dia. dowell perch in our brooder boxes. Necessary? Maybe not. In my way of thinking it helps to keep them from perching on the waterer and feeder. They usually don't start to use them until they are about 2- 4 weeks of age.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Agreed that 2X4s are the way to go. Chicken's feet are different than most birds. They can grasp a round perch but not as easily as other birds. Look at your parrot's foot to see the difference.
    As to the roost in the brooder I'd advise against it. Young birds keel is still cartilage & it can be deformed by roosting too early.

7. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:I saw a pic in the brooder post and they had made small roosts for the chicks, just didn't know if it was necessary. Does anyone else have input on flat vs. round?

8. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    I have 2x4 roosts in my coop and run - the edges are beveled at a slight angle so they're not totally flat but there is plenty of surface area for their big fluffy butts to perch at night. In their run I also have a beveled 2x4 and some tree branches for them to move about on. For their daily tight-rope routines, they seem to prefer the branches. Maybe it's because there are more branches than 2x4 in the run. [​IMG]

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I use both.[​IMG]

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I use small trees, 2"-3" in diameter. I use them because they're free. The birds like them real well too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by