Branching out

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by perihalailah, Jan 3, 2013.

1. perihalailah

perihalailah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Hello everyone,

I'm Peri and my hubby is Brad. We have recently started a small commercial mushroom farm in North Georgia and decided we needed some eggs for those mushroom omelets we love so we ordered 9 Golden Laced Wyandotte, 9 Dominiques, and 8 Campines from McMurray Hatchery. They throw in one rare, exotic chick. Always did love a surprise. They won't be here til the first week in March. My father in law is coming down in a couple of weeks to help us build our coop. And I'm getting the stuff to make the brooders at Walmart and Tractor Supply Company.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Nothing like omelets made with freshly laid freerange eggs. [​IMG]

3. kjgoodman

kjgoodman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] cool ;-) Welcome. I LOVE mushrooms. Keep looking at those little mushroom growing kits lol...

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]Welcome! Nothing like starting with a crowd! Have fun.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Peri, and [​IMG]! I think I welcomed your hubby here earlier - username bradgad?? You folks sound like you will be happy chicken keepers - enjoy those omelets and best of luck to you!

6. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] from NY state and best of luck with your new flock!

7. perihalailah

perihalailah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    We moved here a year ago and were in a quandry about what kind of agribusiness our 6 wooded acres would accommodate without having to cut down all of our big beautiful trees. We discovered to our delight that the property was awash in many varieties of mushrooms. I knew the morels were choice edibles, but we joined the mushroom club of Georgia and found out that we had a veritable edible mushroom smorgasbord...with chanterelles, porcini, hen and chicken of the woods, puffballs, oysters, and lions mane. We've recently discovered a wonderful lilac colored 'shroom called blewit that we've been chowing down on for the last month. We've inoculated about 100 logs with shitake spawn and plan to grow king stropharia around the coop 'cause we heard they were great at breaking down the chicken manure.

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio!!!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by