Brand new and full of Roos!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rooaroo, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rooaroo

rooaroo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Hi my name is Sara and I live in Northern California. I wanted chickens last year and missed the boat....I waited until this last season and picked myself 2 Buff Orps, 2 Ameraucanas, and 2 Golden Laced Wynadottes. This summer the two Buffs and one Ameraucana decided to crow. [​IMG] I pulled 50/50. According to my feed store where I purchased them, they were very displeased with the hatchery since they advertised them as pullets and they clearly were not since almost 40% of their customer's reported receiving roosters. I love them. They all still have their girl names. Miranda, Sugar, and Aurora. My hens are Belle, Gilly, and Lady. I love my hens and I love my roos but they are not very nice to them and I am going to the meat market tomorrow to ask about having at least 2 roos butchered. Breaks my heart and we will see if I can do it. Sucks because Aurora is beautiful. He is dark red brown with iridescent green/blue tail feathers but he is down right nasty. Mostly to the other roo Sugar but sometimes he picks on my Lady bird and I have to yell at him. Miranda is a gorgeous fat boy and use to be nice to me...not so much. He attacks my daughter when she enters the coop and is not nice to my hens or roos. Except Sugar...his brother...he protects him. Sugar is my lean...weak..roo. He hides from Aurora behind me when I am in the coop and lets me pet him and rub under his beak as I have done since the second day of his life. He will be the one I keep, if I keep any. I cannot wait for my girls to lay eggs....they should at the middle to end of October. This is my chicken story.....along with the six of them I have 3 small dogs...all related...2 fun and beautiful little girls..also both related [​IMG], and my man (we are not related hehe)...for without him I would not have the lovely coop and run I do! Hello from me to you! [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us! Rough way to start raising chickens having your expectations blown like that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your extra roos!

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hi Sara, [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

6. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you with us. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

10. K9ThorsMom

K9ThorsMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Pinellas County, FL
    Hi from Florida! Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by