Brand New And Looking For Helpful Hints!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by newbiechix, Apr 12, 2012.

1. newbiechix

newbiechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Portsmouth, VA
    After considering the idea for a few years, I have finally decided to take the plunge and try my hand at raising a few backyard chickens. I have found a number of farmers around with other chicks they're willing to sell for a good price, but I don't even have my coop built yet. I'm trying to figure out how to make one with mainly free/reclaimed materials since I don't have a few hundred dollars to buy one of the fancy models I've seen online. Looking forward to taking the plunge with the support of everyone here!

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Your coop doesn't have to be fancy just secure from predators. :thumbsup

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I wish you best of luck with your journey with chickens! You won't need a coop at first if you're getting chicks, just a brooder e.g. tub or box would be fine.
    Check out the Coop Construction section of the forum to find out more about building from scratch, I know a lot of people have done it!
    Enjoy the site. :D

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

6. newbiechix

newbiechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    Portsmouth, VA
    Thanks everyone for the welcoming support!
    I'm actually looking to get some older "chicks" mainly because the thought of raising the little things from such a young age seems complicated and I'd hate to do something wrong and hurt them. They'll probably be between 4-8 weeks old when I get them, so I wanted to get the coop up before I brought the girls home.

I did have a question as to what you do when you have to go away for a few days or want to go on vacation. I have a house cat that can easily be left to her own devices for a long weekend provided I leave out food, water, and a clean litter box. Could the same be said for chickens if they are in a secure coop/run? Or will I need to have someone stop by to take care of them even for just a few days?

7. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by