Brand New and Need Advice.

Chickenfiend

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Bellville OH
I will be receiving my Australorp chicks on the 2nd of September. I was wondering what advice you can give me on brooding or any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

I've never had Australorp chicks so I can't advise on them. But this is the advise I would give to any person that is getting started.

1. Get ALL of you supplies in advance. Have your brooder, feerers and waterers and all other supplies in place so that before you leave to get your chicks all you will need to do is turn on the lanp and fill the waterer. Don't wait until the day before or worse, the day you're going to pick up the chicks to get what you need because sometimes the feedstores run out of supplies.

2. Knowledge is power. Read up on common questions other folks ask on the chick forum, and consider buying a book on chickens. Two of the best I've found are written by Gail Damerow and are titled, "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" and "The Chicken Health Handbook." Just because it is not a concern for you now doesn't mean it won't be later.

3. Expensive doesn't always mean better, so get what works for you. My brooder is a 5 foot kids swimming pool from WalMart while my hen house is made out of pallets my husband got for free at work. I know I passed up the fancy brooders that the hatcheries sell, and the expensives houses at my favorite feed stores, but I found something that was practical and worked.

4. Keep the water clean and the feed fresh. You'll know when it is time to upgrade to larger feeders and waterers when they start knocking them over. If they are pooping in either put a cone shaped piece of paper on top. If they are getting shavings in either try placing garden stones underneath. To solve both problems at the same time get hanging feeders and waterers and adjust them so that they are level with the chicks back.

5. Mind the temp and don't keep them too hot or too cold.

6. The price of corn is going up, and the bigger your chicks get the more they will eat. If you can afford to, and have the means to store it, then it is a good idea to pick up an extra bag of feed.

7. You can get chick grit. However, I wouldn't bother with it until you start to feed scraps and stuff. Grit is basically tiny rocks that grinds up their food in their stomach (called a crop). Chick starter rations should have everything needed for digestion.

8. Consider making up a small medical kit with items specifically for chicken use. Terramyacin is a common antibiotic that treats many condition. A water soluable vitimin supplement is great for streeful situations. And consider putting some sort of wound treatment (like Blu Kote) in your kit with q-tips and cottonballs too.

Mostly I'd say be prepared. Our chickens have taught us that you can't predict what is going to happen, but if you're lucky you'll be prepared. Hope this helps!

Good luck with your chickens. I have 2 australorps. They are nice. They are not laying yet so I will let you know when they do. Enjoy your adventure.

Best advice read everything you can and try to learn as much as you can. You will love them, and don't forget to have fun and enjoy them. They don't stay fuzzy and little very long!

Back
Top Bottom