Brand New at This Chicken Coop thing

stand4freedom

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Montana
I have always wanted to build and have a chicken coop. No more than 10 hens and one rooster. What is the real answer on buying a prefab shed and modulating it to make it into a chicken coop. I would have a nice fenced run, vents, and window and door and outside access to the nesting boxes. I live in a cold part of the country, not any colder than any North part of America, but in Montana here, would I have to Insulate it? thanks all

welcome-byc.gif

Putting some mods on a shed will work just fine. I have used two different sheds before and it worked out well.

If your going to build something...the sky is the limit.

Wish you the best.

I enjoyed building the coop as much as keeping the birds.

I do not insulate and no heat in the coop, just a waterer warmer. I imagine your coop would benefit from insulation since Montana winters are much more severe.

Heating is another matter and a "hot" topic on this site.

I have always wanted to build and have a chicken coop. No more than 10 hens and one rooster. What is the real answer on buying a prefab shed and modulating it to make it into a chicken coop. I would have a nice fenced run, vents, and window and door and outside access to the nesting boxes. I live in a cold part of the country, not any colder than any North part of America, but in Montana here, would I have to Insulate it? thanks all

I'm in Montana, and my coop is not insulated and not heated. Ventilation is the key. Even my Leghorn remained frost-bite free all winter.

I converted a 90+ year old shed that was on our property into the shed. I've even got 5 chicks under an EcoGlow 20 and they are doing just fine in the shed.

I'm in CO and we insulated the coop. The leftovers I saved and also insulated the duck house. I used contractors flooring caulk to attach to the walls, then over that we cut and fit leftover fencing so they wouldnt peck it out. On the floor of the coop and the original nesting area (now on the bottom) we used vinyl flooring from the dollar store. The coop we built is on the right. The playhouse is now the duck house. I'm always on the lookout for free stuff. The back of the duck house now has a door so we can go right into the range area. The flooring caulk we got from Habitat for Humanity at about $13 for a case vs $4-5 for a tube. lt's very easy to convert a shed into a coop. The fencing on the inside we used was new (wasnt up to par for the neighbors wife ) so I didnt have to worry about any chemicals that may have been sprayed on it in case they peck at it. Hope this helps!! BTW, we never built outside access to the nesting boxes, good thing because they lay on the ground floor, where the duck used to lay her eggs. The ducks and chickens are separated due to a hormonal drake..lol

Last edited:
Thanks fellow Montana buddy! My hubby and I are going to start to just collect wood and stuff to start assembling something that resembles a Coop. Would love at least 6 chickens...haven't seen a good real nuts and bolts plan on this site on exactly how to "build a coop for dummies" type thing. Hubby, I can tell is nervous but wants to build something to please me, LOL...Yes, ventilation, I will remember that. What PART of Montana are you from? I'm here in Kalispell...

Back
Top Bottom