Brand new at this, need some help with breed.

PaulandDoris

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
South Mississippi
We bought some Rhode Island reds, but now a neighbor has given us some chicks and we have no way of knowing of what they are. They are very friendly, and love to sit on my grandkids. Their fine fur is yellow, but their new feathers are growing in a beautiful bright white. I was told they are three weeks old. Thank you for any help.

We bought some Rhode Island reds, but now a neighbor has given us some chicks and we have no way of knowing of what they are. They are very friendly, and love to sit on my grandkids. Their fine fur is yellow, but their new feathers are growing in a beautiful bright white. I was told they are three weeks old. Thank you for any help.

It can be hard to tell the breed of birds when they are chicks. However, I think that your chicks are likely White Plymouth Rocks or White Leghorns, as these are two common types of white chicken. It will be easier to tell when they get older and all feathered out.

I agree, too young to tell. Will be some white breed, as states leghorns and rocks are the two most common. They're both good layers, leghorns of white eggs and rocks of brown.

Thank you, I was thinking Leghorn as well. Had not thought of the other breed as we are really new at this. I will post a new pic later once more feathers are in and the crown starts in as well.

Did you ask your neighbor what breed these chicks are?

Thank you, I was thinking Leghorn as well. Had not thought of the other breed as we are really new at this. I will post a new pic later once more feathers are in and the crown starts in as well.

They would have white earlobes if they are Leghorns. You can see better than we can with the picture.

Welcome to BYC, one question any feathers on the legs as there are many different types of white chickens and the color could
always change in the next six months so asking if the pervious owner if they have any idea is your best bet ...... I have had white
chicks that turn in to yellow or a light buff color .........

No, I haven't seen him. I guess I could have my husband ask, but they were given to him from his mom (or grandmother) and he has not been able to contact her to return them. He did not want his kids growing attached to them, that is why he gave them to us knowing we have chickens.

They definitely have white ears. So, looks like leghorns they are. I hear they are good layers, but not very good at brooding. How do they mix with RIR's? Anyone have any experience here?

Back
Top Bottom