Brand new at this:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bamagirl0502, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Bamagirl0502

Bamagirl0502 New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    I hope I'm doing this right!! Hello to everyone!! I am new to raising chickens, however I grew up on a farm and helped my grandmother with chickens. I'm back on the farm and feel like it needs chickens again. After alot of research I decided on the Silver Laced Wyandottes. I think they are absolutely beautiful and can't wait for them to get here. I ordered them from Ideal Poultry. They will be hatching Sept. 28 and hopefully will have them within a couple of days. I have read and reread everything on raising baby chicks but if any of you have some advice for this first time "chicken momma" I'd love to hear it!!! I have my brood ready for my babies!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I'm a wife, mother of a 16 y/o son and 13 y/o daughter, 5 dogs, a cat, 15 goats and soon to be 10 baby chicks!![​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and welcome to BYC [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca

6. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Hi!

I'm new to chickens too. My grandparents had chickens on the farm, but my only experience with them was being scared of getting pecked while retrieving the eggs from under the hens. I'm pretty sure I'm over that fear now.

As far as advice, it sounds like you've done a lot of research already... I found I just tried to pay attention to their behavior. I judged too hot or too cold by where they were in the brooder, not by reading a thermometer. And when one seemed more lethargic than the rest, I gave her a close look and found that she had the 'pasting up' problem. After we got her cleaned up, she was good to go.

We called her Pasty for a while, but didn't really want that to be her forever name. So we got creative... she's now called Patsy [​IMG]

I hope the next 8-10 days fly by for you. You must be filled with anticipation.

Welcome from San Diego [​IMG]

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Congratulations!! I think SLWs are beautiful too!!!
    [​IMG]

8. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you with us!

[​IMG]

9. Amigo

Amigo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Your house!
    Wonderful to have you here! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Enjoy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  10. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by