Brand new baby Buff Orps - PICS - AND MORE NEW PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ruth, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    You know sometimes it just has to be God. Well that's my excuse. I was driving around all day today in 100 degree heat from one school to another and back again trying to get my nephew (who I inherited last week at 2:00 a.m. - long story) registered in school here. It had been a long day and towards the end of it, my husband, nephew and I were making another long trip out to the boonies to get his clothes when my motion sickness finally overtook me. We were sitting in stalled traffic when I told my husband I just had to get out of the car right then. I looked up (here's the God part) and we were right in front of a seed and feed place that I had never seen before and they had a sign that read (you know what's coming don't you) "CHICKS". Well......here's your sign.

I tell my husband to pull in or I'm going to throw up. Don't you know it, they had a whole shipment of baby Buff Orps that had just arrived. Couldn't help myself with all those signs pointing the way so I bought 4. They are soooooo cute. None of my last two batches were ever this small - they had wings and some feathers but these aren't anything but fuzz with teeeeny tiiiiny little pink feet.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

Here's Buff 1:

[​IMG]

Of course she (better be a she) looks just like Buff 2, 3 & 4.

After we drove off it occured to me that I had not asked if they were straight run or all pullets - not even sure if that's a logical question - can they sex them at 1 day old?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, yes they can sex Orps at hatching if they're standard size. And it's one of the all time great breeds if you ask me. Very cute! Have to obey your signs, right??

3. Canarygirl

Canarygirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    Hello, Congrats on your new babies. In my opinon you got the best breed out there. We have 15 buffs and they are the best. They are great layers and have a gentle personality. They are the only kind I'll ever have. We have 10 that are 4 weeks old and 5 adults. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

4. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Yup,one of the great breeds out there!Good luck with the babys.[​IMG]

5. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Hooray! Buff Orps are the yellow lab of the chicken world, you'll love them! But please get some shavings down under those chicks so they can walk, trying to walk on slippery newspaper will make them spraddle legged.

Congrats and enjoy!

6. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    I gotta get me some of them!

(please don't tell my wife)

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Buff orpingtons are my favorite. Enjoy them.

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I want some!!!! They are so cute.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Buff Orps are the yellow lab of the chicken world

peeperkeeper, what a great way to put it! So true!​

10. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    My buff, Penny is 13 weeks and she is by far the sweetest girl! [​IMG]