brand new baby chick attacked?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whightsars, Jun 20, 2010.

1. whightsars

whightsars New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    my neighbor is out of town and im taking care of her chickens. well yesterday i noticed one of the chickens had a baby. and today when i came to collect the eggs i found the baby just laying on the ground about 3 feet away from its nest.... but its still breathing and every once in a while i hear a peep. im trying to keep it warm. but it cant walk and its neck is flops whenever i pick it up. and only one eye will open every once in a while.... -_- i tried to give it water and iono if i should try to feed it... or what to feed it... or should i just stop worrying bc its going to die?

how its keeps laying.. is it bc its dying?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

its skin is gone... my mom told me to put hydrogen peroxide....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    I am so sorry about the baby chick. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think it will make it. I have had 2 baby chicks attaked this week by other hens & they did not make it. I don't know why the hens do it, but sometimes they do attack the babies. I have found it best to seperate the babies when they are about 1 day old. I hate doing it, but I hate for them to get pecked to death. I am not sure what to tell you to do about your chick. Maybe just keep it warm & comfortable until it passes. [​IMG]

3. whightsars

whightsars New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    i dont mind if you tell me to just let it go bc its gonna die. i just want to know if thats the case or if i should be doing something else...O_O

4. whightsars

whightsars New Egg

Jun 20, 2010
    Quote:thanks.... we have bunnies too and i had to do this a week ago for one of the babies. -_-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by