Brand new baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tooter, Mar 14, 2013.

1. tooter

tooter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    So I've never had chickens and I got 12 red pullets and 2 pekin ducks. Got them so my 6 year old could gather eggs and sell them to start her some responsibility and beginning to understanding the concept of money and work. With that being said I have built a coop that's is 4 x12 and have 8 12x12 laying boxes off the back. They are approx. 5 to 6 weeks ok getting black feathers in their tails. I bought them from tractor supply an was wondering what kind they might be. I'm from middle TN. Needless to say I could use some advice generally speakin about anything to do with these pullets to educate myself. Here is a picture of my coop. [​IMG]

2. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Lucky girl! That's a great way to teach her money and work skills, she's gonna have so much fun too. What a beautiful coop, are they going to free range? They sound like Rhode Island Reds, breed page. Spend some time reading through forums, you will learn lots!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  3. tooter

tooter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have learned so much this far from this site. I haven't started the run yet I am going to this weekend. I also have another question. Some of my pullets are getting black tail feathers. Is that any indication for hen or rooster?

4. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    I'm not sure about the black tail feathers. You should be able to tell by their comb's at that age... noticeably bigger and redder combs tend to be boys. Do you have pictures by any chance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by