Brand new chick hatch! Urgent question.

jwyles

Crossing the Road
6 Years
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
my neighbor gave me some eggs to put under my broody pullet. (Y'all she is only 7 months old and this is her first time going broody!!!) and to my surprise I checked on her tonight and there are two little baby chicks under her!!!! The thing is it's 40•F here with highs in mid 50s tomorrow. Are these chicks ok under mom or is that too cold??

At a low of 40, they're fine. Mum's a natural brooder. Pack some extra hay around her, if you're really worried, and make sure she's not in a draft, but 40 is nothing to an adult chicken, and her peeps will be fine if she's covering them--and they were warm enough to develop and hatch, weren't they? My cochin bantam hatched hers in forty degree weather, it's now been below freezing several times, and she still hasn't lost a peep. And she's tiny.

If she's a silkie, she might need a little help later, (because silkie feathers aren't the best) but only if temps dip quickly and drastically, and she has a lot of peeps (more than nine standard, I'd start to worry a little. But not at forty degrees.)

my neighbor gave me some eggs to put under my broody pullet. (Y'all she is only 7 months old and this is her first time going broody!!!) and to my surprise I checked on her tonight and there are two little baby chicks under her!!!! The thing is it's 40•F here with highs in mid 50s tomorrow. Are these chicks ok under mom or is that too cold??
Congrats jwyles, glad to hear you are doing well. New chicks, I am envious. Good luck with them! :frow

At a low of 40, they're fine. Mum's a natural brooder. Pack some extra hay around her, if you're really worried, and make sure she's not in a draft, but 40 is nothing to an adult chicken, and her peeps will be fine if she's covering them--and they were warm enough to develop and hatch, weren't they? My cochin bantam hatched hers in forty degree weather, it's now been below freezing several times, and she still hasn't lost a peep. And she's tiny.

If she's a silkie, she might need a little help later, (because silkie feathers aren't the best) but only if temps dip quickly and drastically, and she has a lot of peeps (more than nine standard, I'd start to worry a little. But not at forty degrees.)

They did develop but it hasn't been this cool here until tonight. But that is an excellent point that I didn't consider. She's a frizzle Cochin bantam so I don't know how her feathers are insulated. I actually went ahead and brought them in but not bc of the cold, I ended up worrying that my Ameraucana & OE who are very immature bullies would get ahold of them and hurt them tomorrow. I've got a part of my coop sectioned off for them so they'll go back out with mom tomorrow where everyone can get to know them without being able to cause harm and one they're big enough I'll let them go back in with the flock. I hope it won't stress mom out too much but I just couldn't take the chance of those bullies hurting these babies.

Yep they are right were they need to be mom will keep them safe

Back
Top Bottom