Brand new chick owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickgarden, Apr 1, 2012.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    After years of wanting chickens we finally made the decision to get some a couple of days ago.
    We have 4 chicks: 1 Ameraucana, 1 Brown Leghorn, 1 Delaware and 1 Black sex-link
    The thermometer stopped working the first day so I have adjusted the heat to where the chicks seem happiest, going on their behavior. I know it was around 90 degrees while it was working though.
    I guess my main question is that one chick, the Ameraucana, seems a little quieter than the others. She eats, drinks, eats scratch from my hand if I offer it to her, but she just seems a little quieter and a bit less active. I've found a few little piles of loose poop, not sure who they are from though.
    Thank you so much for any advice!!

Also is there a good reference book that would have specific information on raising chicks?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sounds like you're doing ok. As long as they can move closer and further from the heat they will regulate where they are comfortable. As for the one being a little quieter than the others it may be normal for the breed and they all have their own personalities too. Their poops varies some in consistancy. Just keep an eye on it. They should be eating a chick starter and not just scratch, that might make a difference in their poop too. There is lots of good information here at BYC in the forum posts. And [​IMG].

3. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Thanks Ron! They have a mix of chick starter and scratch and then we are giving them a little scratch as a treat as recommended by the feed store we bought them at. Just got a new thermometer too, so I'll be able to keep better track of the temps.

4. bigbike4

bigbike4 Out Of The Brooder

I too am gonna be (if all goes right) a new chick owner come this Friday. Figured I would get a few Leghorns (love white eggs) and some eastereggers (just for general principles). Both are coming in at my local Co-OP this friday. In the meantime I am getting things together for them-I have an old clamp on style light that should clamp right to my old metal rabbit cage. Figured I would put a wood piece in the bottom to serve as a floor and something over it for my little girls. I already have the chick feeder and water. My question:

Will the chicks stay warm enough in an unheated upstairs shop (with the heat light going of course).? I plan on getting a total of 6 chicks.

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Depending on their age for the first week they need about 95 degrees about 5 degrees less each following week. Just make sure if it is too hot under the lamp they can escape the heat to a cooler part of the enclosure. If they huddle together under the light then they are too cold and should probably move the lamp a little closer.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Good luck to both of you. Sounds like things are going OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by