Brand new chick twisted neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poularde, Jul 13, 2010.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I had my worst hatch yet. Out of 15 Houdan eggs I have 4 chicks. [​IMG] One of the last hatched took over 24 hours to hatch. It is the biggest chick. His neck is twisted and going to one side. I still have him in the incubator. He is able to stand and move around. Any suggestions? Poor little baby.

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I am not an expert on incubators and humidity, temp, etc. I do know that nutritional problems can cause twisted necks. I'd at least try multivitamins to start with. Poly Vi Sol is often used and can be give directly in their mouth if needed. I'd start with one drop mixed in a few drops of water--not too chilled nor too warm. Someone else is bound to chime in for you.

3. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    I agree with the polyvisol (without iron)-one of mine had wry neck and that was suggested-of course mine was about 8 weeks old-did 3 drops in some water and opened vitamin e capsule in water- it took about 1 1/2 weeks but all is well now thanks to this forum !!!!! I was told only to do the polyvisol for one week but continue the vitamin e for an additional week-I did about 800mg a day. Hope that helped you !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by