1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand New Chicken Farmer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wayneh, Jan 26, 2011.

1. wayneh

wayneh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    N. E. Alabama
    :)Brand new right!!!! we have been talking bout some chickens for several years. now we have pulled the triger. Hello every one from N.E. Al.abama, (ie Sylvania) think we got bout 1100 people or so, and a lot of comerical chicken houses. good eatin but not many eggs. wife, Shirley and myself have cattle farmed for 25 years or so and I did excavating work for 15. we are both retired now. we have been giving this adventure a lot of thought, and my neighbor was the one that sent us over the edge. he promised that he would look after the chickens when we take our 2 trips. we do the motorcycle thing and go to the Thunder Beach ralley each spring and fall. what could be better, motorcycles and the beach all at the same time. well he said he would look after the girls for a few eggs. so it looks like he's got a deal. now for the chickens. we will start our coop as soon as the weather warms a little. just can't seem to get going when its 32 outside. we are thinking about a coop that we can move around. we would like to have the girls tame enough that we can let them out under supervision of course. we think they would be a great asset of our garden. hoping that they will eat the bugs and we will not have to use bug killer. I know they can't possibaly eat all the bugs we have, but maybe knock a dent in them. well that's enough of my ramblings so bye for now and happy chicken farming to all.

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    WELCOME, wayneh! [​IMG]

I'm glad you found us, and I'm sure you'll find all sorts of good & helpful info. here!

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Welcome! Welcome! Take a look at chicken" tractors". These are small structures that you can move around to fresh grass -or in your garden. You will really enjoy owning chickens! The eggs are wonderful and the amusement factor is pretty high!

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

5. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    Thirty-two degrees would be considered warm around here these days!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome!

The coop section has all sorts of tractors. Try the blue search button, type in tractors, select the coops forum, and I'll bet you'll get all sorts of results.

Um, don't plan on turning them loose in your garden til you are finished harvesting. They will eat your veggies and then the veggie plants! But they will also eat the bugs left when you are done.

Some people actually build tractors or daytime runs that fit over garden rows or raised beds. That way you can have them working in part of the garden and grow in another.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Welcome! 32 degrees, huh? Right now we would call that a heatwave!

8. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    Welcome from NW Washington State [​IMG]

9. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Y'all from Ohio [​IMG]

10. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps