Brand new chicken Mama, am I doing it right???

Stephanie8806

Songster
5 Years
Feb 18, 2019
Central Washington State
We are getting our babies in less than two weeks, and I really want to make sure we have the right setup for our fluffernuggets!

We are planning on getting 12. Full sized, no bantams this year. Our plan is to cull half the flock for meat birds in about a year, and introduce a new dozen, bringing us to 18. So our brooder set up needs to be good for 12 babies.

We bought a 2’x3’ metal trough, and it has 2’ high sides. They will be in the house and then move to their outdoor coop. We have a feeder, a waterer, and a container to hold grit. 1 Heat lamp. No thermometer, but I will be getting one.

Is this enough space for 12 chicks? I’ve just seen that the “rule of thumb” is one foot per chicken, and I am realizing as big as it looks now, that it may not be enough. Their coop will be plenty roomy and they have a large run... but I wouldn’t want to move them out early because we live in a little bit colder climate.

Please help! I really want to do it right

That's probably big enough for about 2 weeks. After that age chicks become more active and need room to move, run and flap to avoid them pecking out of boredom.

How big is your coop? They could be moved out to it with the heat lamp if it's big enough.

That's probably big enough for about 2 weeks. After that age chicks become more active and need room to move, run and flap to avoid them pecking out of boredom.

How big is your coop? They could be moved out to it with the heat lamp if it's big enough.

That’s what I was afraid of. Our local store has bigger ones, I may have to look into that.

The coop is plenty roomy, it has about 60sq ft of floor space, plus roosts and nesting boxes. They will have an attached enclosed run that’s even larger, and that connects to more fenced area.

My worry about moving them to the coop early is that our nights will still be below freezing for a while(zone 5b, our last frost date is true end of MAY). I’m worried a heat lamp won’t be enough for the young chickens, with no adult birds to snuggle up to or to create body heat to warm the air

They will go under the lamp. Adults don't heat the coop. You could put a circle of fencing that confines them a bit that you slowly enlarge. Or use plywood to make a square if you wish, but your coop is that big.

Secure your lamp well, probably about 2-3 feet off the ground. I use a 125 watt bulb personally. If you use a 250 watt make sure your heat lamp has a ceramic socket.

I'm in zone 4, so I'm familiar with your weather.

They will go under the lamp. Adults don't heat the coop. You could put a circle of fencing that confines them a bit that you slowly enlarge. Or use plywood to make a square if you wish, but your coop is that big.

Secure your lamp well, probably about 2-3 feet off the ground. I use a 125 watt bulb personally. If you use a 250 watt make sure your heat lamp has a ceramic socket.

I'm in zone 4, so I'm familiar with your weather.

Good to know!

Where we’re planning on brooding them(in the house), we do have the space to have a larger brooder... if we wanted to go through with a longer indoor(more controlled conditions) brood, what size would be suitable for 12 chicks? Would the one square foot apply, or do they need more than that? I was hoping to have them inside for 4-6 weeks for putting finishing touches on their coop and run before they make the move

I always brood out in a shed. I'm not sure how people deal with the smell, and dust in their homes. Also chicks need good ventilation because of that smell and dust, and that can't always be provided in a house. You also need to be careful using Teflon pans with birds in the house. The fumes are toxic if these pans burn.

We start out with my 3x6 box brooder. I have a divider in it, so we start with about 3x4. Than I take the divider out at about 5-7 days. At 2 weeks they get switched to a temporary floor brooder built on the concrete that's about 3x10. I usually brood about 15-25. The 25 get tight by 4 weeks. Mine go out to the big chicken shed at 4 weeks into another pen that's about 6x15.

So every 2 weeks chicks need more room, or things to do. I have brooded 15 in that 3x10 brooder for about 6-7 weeks before I started to see some pecking, so out they went. Now mine go out by 4 weeks most years. They are generally weaned off extra heat because I brood in June.

On nice days mine will go out on some grass in the sun in a temporary pen. Once they are 3-4 weeks they should be able to handle temperatures in the 70's or more outside in a sheltered sunny spot.

I always brood out in a shed. I'm not sure how people deal with the smell, and dust in their homes. Also chicks need good ventilation because of that smell and dust, and that can't always be provided in a house. You also need to be careful using Teflon pans with birds in the house. The fumes are toxic if these pans burn.

We start out with my 3x6 box brooder. I have a divider in it, so we start with about 3x4. Than I take the divider out at about 5-7 days. At 2 weeks they get switched to a temporary floor brooder built on the concrete that's about 3x10. I usually brood about 15-25. The 25 get tight by 4 weeks. Mine go out to the big chicken shed at 4 weeks into another pen that's about 6x15.

So every 2 weeks chicks need more room, or things to do. I have brooded 15 in that 3x10 brooder for about 6-7 weeks before I started to see some pecking, so out they went. Now mine go out by 4 weeks most years. They are generally weaned off extra heat because I brood in June.

On nice days mine will go out on some grass in the sun in a temporary pen. Once they are 3-4 weeks they should be able to handle temperatures in the 70's or more outside in a sheltered sunny spot.

Thank you for that break down. That’s a lot of good information!

Our house is three stories, the bottom floor is a sort of daylight basement/mother-in-law. No one down there currently, it’s mostly storage, a workout room, and indoor seed starting space. There is a bedroom that doesn’t have anything in it, not carpeted, and a large window. Far removed from any kitchen fumes upstairs, smells shouldn’t travel, and a window for easy ventilation. That’s where we are planning to brood.

Ill probably return our trough and build a bigger brooder box, then we don’t have to store a big metal thing. Wood can be taken apart. I also feel like I should maybe wait to get chicks until closer to warm weather. I just hear the chick variety is better earlier... but that could be hogwash pushed by stores to sell chicks or meet sales quotas or whatever. Ugh.

You will generally get a better variety if you put an order in earlier. Are you looking for something local or for shipped chicks?

I used to brood in April, but found it was better to brood in late May to early June here. They can go out much sooner, and it's less work on me. The downside might be they don't start laying until November or later, but for me it works well because my older birds have stopped laying by than generally.

I think making your own brooder is better. The metal ones seem nicer, but they aren't very big. Some people use large totes, or big cardboard boxes. A brooder needs to contain the chicks and be easy to clean. Since you are using a heat lamp and brooding in the house I wouldn't use more than a 125 watt bulb. 250 watts will be way too much.

You will generally get a better variety if you put an order in earlier. Are you looking for something local or for shipped chicks?

I used to brood in April, but found it was better to brood in late May to early June here. They can go out much sooner, and it's less work on me. The downside might be they don't start laying until November or later, but for me it works well because my older birds have stopped laying by than generally.

I think making your own brooder is better. The metal ones seem nicer, but they aren't very big. Some people use large totes, or big cardboard boxes. A brooder needs to contain the chicks and be easy to clean. Since you are using a heat lamp and brooding in the house I wouldn't use more than a 125 watt bulb. 250 watts will be way too much.

I’ve been planning to buy at our local store, Coastal Farm and Ranch. There’s no Tractor supply co. out here. I’m assuming these stores don’t buy chicks locally. I was planning to just pick our chicks from the variety available, since we’re only getting 12. I started a thread seeking out info about the best place to buy chicks in central Washington State, but have had no replies.

I was hoping to start them sooner than May, especially with all this Coronavirus stuff going on. Thought it would be a great thing to occupy our time while I’m not working and doing anything away from home seems to be discouraged. Something to put all our energy into without distractions(work 😂).

I think if I plan the size of the brooder right, and structure some outdoor time in warmer days(we’ve had some days in the high 50s and low 60s!), I could brood them for at least 4 weeks before moving them to the coop with a warming light.

Thank you so much for all your input!

I hope you can find some chicks. Most stores ship them in from a hatchery, and some will allow you to order through them so you can pick up in store.

Good luck on your new adventure. Chicken keeping is an addictive hobby for some of us.:)

Back
Top Bottom