Brand new chicken mama in Reno, NV

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mamabear72, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mamabear72

mamabear72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Hello everyone!
    Our family just brought home four chicks & we're excited to start our backyard chicken adventure.
    Our babies will be kept in the house for a while as we're still dropping down to freezing temperatures here in Sparks, NV (borders Reno)
    We're looking forward to making new friends here and learning everything we can

The Wallen Family

2. 1cluckadoodle

1cluckadoodle New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    Congrats on your new babys !You're gona love being a chicken mama ! My son moved here from Reno a couple of years ago. We're in Coos Bay, Oregon. Good luck with your new chicky family members !!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome chicken mama, we'd love to see baby photos - hint, hint.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Congrats on the new babies!!

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to BYC!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Wallen Family, [​IMG] it's great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a really nice learning center if you haven't yet check it out as there is really helpful information for all poultry enthusiast ...... [​IMG]

Good luck with your new chicks [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your chicks.

8. JunkFarmer

JunkFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Hey there! I am doing backyard chickens in Reno (close to Renown). How's it going so far?

9. mamabear72

mamabear72 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2014
    Northern Nevada
    Hello!
    It's going good, we've already added two more chicks to our original 4. I'm guessing that the first ones are about 3 weeks old and the new ones, not even 1 week old yet.
    We're using sand and sweet pdz in our brooder and WOW is is DUSTY in my house now!!! More than the normal Reno/Sparks never ending dust, I can see footprints on our floor at any given time now. Thank goodness we have a glass door between our bonus room/kitchen and the rest of the house so it's "kinda" contained to that part of the house.
    When can I move my little girl outside during the day? Then when can they start spending nights in the coop?
    We've having so much fun that my daughter is already talking about adding a miniature goat to the mix. Why not, we have ferrets and weiner dogs, whats another animal right?
    EXCEPT that we're NOT even zoned for chickens let alone a goat! My fear is our neighbors will turn us in and the big bad wolf will come take our little chicks away.
    My daughter thinks if anyone complains she'll simply tell them that it's part of her science class since she's homeschooled, hee hee, silly girl!

Thanks for checking in on us!

10. JunkFarmer

JunkFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2014
    Reno, NV
    Yeah, I would warn you against keeping chickens in the house because as they feather out they shed a kind of chicken dander and it will cover EVERYTHING. Which it sounds like you are experiencing already. If you have a garage you may want to move them. You can take them for day trips outside now when it's warm and not crazy windy, just watch for hawks. About five weeks you can move them out, maybe six because the nights are still getting pretty cold.

Chicks are so much fun!

Great minds think alike we are thinking about mini goats at the end of the summer. Just keep in mind you have to at least have two goats because they are herd animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by