Brand new chicken mamma from Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HippyGardener, Jan 31, 2017.

1. HippyGardener

HippyGardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hey, I wanted to take a few minutes to introduce myself. I've been reading all about chickens and having serious chicken envy for years. FINALLY I live somewhere that I can keep chickens. I just got my first little flock yesterday from a local feed store. 3 silver laced wyandottes, 3 golden laced wyandottes, 2 araucanas and one black australorp. Hopefully all ladies, but I really wouldn't mind a roo too. :) They are supposedly two weeks old tomorrow (2/1/17), but looking at them closer we really think they aren't all the same ages. Some are much smaller than the others.

My 2 araucanas seem to be very sleepy all the time and not too coordinated. Not sure what's going on with that, but I'm keeping a close eye on them. Maybe they are just stressed out still from their previous environment and then the trip home. The lady at the feed store wasn't too gentle with them when she was getting them for me. I kind of wanted to shove her out of the way and tell her I'd get them myself.

Anyway, so happy to finally have chickens and I'm really looking forward to all the eggs I'll be getting starting later this year. Nice to meet you all and thanks for having such a great community here. I've been stalking for quite a while. Now that I have my ladies I figure it's time to get active here.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    :welcome!

Congrats on the new chicks! Your "araucanas" are almost guaranteed to be easter eggers and not araucanas since you got them from a feed store. Hopefully with good care and proper brooder conditions they will perk up.

3. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How exciting to finally get your first flock! Chicks are a lot of fun to watch, they grow up quickly so be sure to take lots of pictures.

You might enjoy chatting with other members in FL...you can find them here:
    post #1

If you have questions, always feel free to ask!

4. HippyGardener

Jan 31, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm sure hoping they really ARE araucanas. They had a cage with EE's in them and these sure look like some of the pics of little araucana chicks that I've looked up. I guess time will tell. They are so tiny yet. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, HippyGardener, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your chicks - hope they turn out to be what you wanted. Thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under HippyGardener [​IMG] Welcome and Congratulations!

I too hope that your sleepy heads perk up but if you are at all concerned about them, try posting on the Emergencies & Diseases Forum where there are lots of helpful folks who should be able to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. HippyGardener

Jan 31, 2017
    Jacksonville, FL
    My sleepy chick is getting better. She still seems a little further behind the others, but is getting around faster every day. I started fermenting their starter feed and they sure do go nuts for it. Also we have some mealworms I've given them twice. It's hilarious to watch them grab one then run all over the brooder to get away from all the other chicks. At one point this evening every one of them had a worm and they were all acting like everyone wanted to get theirs. LOL!

1 person likes this.
  9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am quite glad you decided to join the flock, and please make yourself at home here! Enjoy BYC! :frow

~Cuz

1 person likes this.
  10. GabrielBane

GabrielBane Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2016
    Jacksonville
    Welcome from a fellow member in Duval county! holler if you ever need anyting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by