Brand new chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smorris2, Apr 8, 2017.

1. smorris2

smorris2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2017
    Hello all! I'm new to having backyard chickens and am learning as I go. I have 5 dominicker pullets that are 7-9 weeks old and 3 one year old hens. We were going to separate the hens from the chicks but decided to just put them together and pray for the best because it was going to be very difficult to keep them separate. The hens have been overall good to my "babies" but the biggest hen is a bully. If she's out and the chicks are eating or getting water she runs them off. Her beak was clipped as a chick (we've only had her a week) so she's not hurting them but they run scared as can be. Any advice would be appreciated. Oh, and she would be the only one that's actively laying so I can't get too mad at her

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. By that age, the chicks are sufficiently robust to take a peck or two. The key is to have a number of feeding stations and places of refuge, where the chicks can avoid the adults (perches, shrubs, etc).

I'm sure the links given by reasons will give further details.

Best wishes
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC.
    What you are observing is normal flock dynamics. As no real harm can be done until/unless you see signs of actual deprivation you can figure that the littles are getting sufficient nutrition/hydration while learning their "place" - if you do become concerned, tough, the simplest solution is to add an additional feed/water station (or two) in a different area so that the resource guarding bird is only able to control one station at a time, giving the chicks access to the other(s)

6. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    [​IMG] Hi there smorris2 and [​IMG]! We're happy you could join us!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under smorris2 [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with Ken and Ol Grey Mare, as long as you ensure the little ones have some good hiding spots where they can get away from being bullied and some food and water of their own so they do not go hungry or thirsty, things should work out in the long run and a pecking order established.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by