Brand new chicken mom

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ketta_czarina, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Ketta_czarina

Ketta_czarina Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    Hello all!

One day in March, we were driving home from school, and decided to stop by a local ranch. We came home with a beautiful and friendly hen (Joyce) and her 6 chicks. https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYWX98gghG/

I thought “oh, I can put them in the old dog run and rabbit hutch on the side of the house.” It was great in theory, but we lost two chicks, so I had to come up with a new plan real quick. Now I’ve chicken-wired in the lower level of our old swingset/playhouse, and made tunnels around the yard, so the chickens can safely run around without eating my garden or getting eaten by the many local predators.

Since then, we have adopted another round of 5 chicks, who were hatched in a classroom. I’d hoped Joyce would adopt them while she was broody last month. She didn’t take them, but she did stop brooding and go back to her own babes.

The first four babies are big now, about 16 weeks I think. I think I have two hens and two roosters. I don’t know the breed of any of my birds Every time I have had a question, my search has ended here, so I decided to join.

A little more about me: I am also a mom to 2 humans, 5 cats, 2 turtles, a leopard gecko and some fish. I have fostered/adopted rabbits, tortoises, birds, snakes, mice, rats, hamsters, dogs, and frogs. I have always loved animals, and now I love chickens too! The only downside is waking up so early.

I have one big question that hasn’t been answered, so I will add it to a forum and hope it isn’t too repetitive! Thanks!

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

3. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I'm sorry to hear about your losses!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard Chickens. You can post photos of your chicks at "what breed or gender is this," to get them sorted out.

5. Ketta_czarina

Ketta_czarina Chirping

Jun 17, 2019
    Thanks! I’ll have to take some pictures. I don’t really care about knowing their breed, I think they are all mixed, because they run free on a big ranch. But I guess if they can be identified as something specific, that would be neat to know too!

6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Ketta_czarina ! welcome to BYC :frow
    that's quite a menagerie you tend! :clap

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States
    Best wishes

Pork Pie

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Howdy! :frow Welcome to our FUN-omenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have Lots of FUN! :wee

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. I'd love to see pictures of your chicken tunnels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: