Brand New chicken mommy!!!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mandymade, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Mandymade

Mandymade New Egg

May 4, 2015
    I am thrilled to find this site because I am very new to this! We got 5 hens and a rooster for our backyard. We live in a neighborhood in the middle of a pretty large city. They lived in my room for 4 weeks and we pot them out in their new home last week which had been a little challenging.

2. Jeremy Wingate

Jeremy Wingate Australorp-Fiend

May 7, 2015
    East Texas
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. jlmissouri

jlmissouri Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Missouri
    Once you have your own eggs there is no turning back, pretty soon you won't be able to eat commercial eggs. Good luck with your new chickens

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breeds do you have?. Were you having difficulties because of weather extremes or ????

1 person likes this.
  6. nj2wv

nj2wv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Lost Creek ,WV
    :frow welcome to BYC !!

7. Mandymade

Mandymade New Egg

May 4, 2015
    I am so sorry that I wasn't able to read the replies to my posts because I wasn't aware of how all of this works, I'm only just now reading these messages from 6/15. All my 6 hens are finally laying, 5 of them laid at 20 weeks BUT the last one started laying this week. They were all born on same day and all started laying within 3 days of each other except 1 hen. Her name is Chicka! We waited thru 7 months and 8 months and then 9 and then all of a sudden she squatted for me!!!! I was in shock and her comb and wattles started growing and getting red and all of a sudden, today we finally had 6 eggs in one day so we know that finally all 6 are laying. Its so sweet and beautiful. We loved her before but now she's super specia. We have no idea why she didn't lay until she was 10 months old. Any explanations??????

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community - great to have you onboard. Re: late layers - some are just like that - them's chickens for ya!

All the best
    CT

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I'm a bit late, but better than never. :lol:

10. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Congrats on getting the last girl's egg! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by