Brand new chicken owner but life long chicken lover!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BabyChicken420, Nov 20, 2015.

1. BabyChicken420

BabyChicken420 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Hello everyone, since getting my first chick at the end of September I have always been directed to BYC and found myself exploring almost daily, so I finally decided to make an account! I own three chicks as of now and plan on getting a few more as my city limit is 7. I am also in the process of finishing a coop. I'm a student, a biomedical major focusing on a pre-dental degree with aspirations to become a dentist, and live in South Texas.

The last time my family owned chickens was about thirteen years ago when I was barely 5 years old, I was too young to really remember but now I would like some of my own! I bought my first chicken at a flea market two months ago because I had my mind set on getting a chicken for while, she is mixed/still don't know what breed (will have to make a thread on that). First day it cried and cried and with just one internet search I found it is not good to have one chicken alone, so I had to buy another next day! I found cute bantam silkie chick at a local feed store. My boyfriend and I fell in love with them and had to get another, we went back to the same feed store and got another bantam silkie (which I think might be a rooster [​IMG]). We are now building a small coop which be plan to finish by next month. I never knew how much responsibility could go into raising chicken, but now I know and can't get enough!

I love this site already and how helpful it is to providing information on every single aspect of raising chickens. I hope to contribute all that I can and meet others who can help me along my journey of raising happy, healthy chickens!

[​IMG]

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome To BYC! Make yourself comfortable and ask any questions you may have.
    [​IMG]

3. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Thank you very much! Thats a beautiful bird there by the way! [​IMG]

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and a very warm welcome to BYC all the way from Kenya [​IMG] It seems like you are suffering from the age old problem of "chicken maths" already and believe me, it won't leave you!

Lots of great people that enjoy helping each other out, so feel free to post away with any questions you may have.

CT

5. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Yes I find myself looking through new breeds to buy every day [​IMG] Thank you so much for the warm welcome!I have already met some great people!

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you! I also have White peafowl. My White male will get a big train like the male in the picture next year. Here's a pic of my Whites. The White male is in back and the hen is up front.
    [​IMG]

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

8. BabyChicken420

Nov 20, 2015
    South Texas
    Wow those are so big and beautiful! They look very fancy. I wished I lived in an area where I could raise bigger birds, for now I'll just have to settle for a few chickens [​IMG]

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by