Brand new chicken owner- diarrhea issue HELP!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mlploeger, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mlploeger

mlploeger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Hello there :) We are brand new to raising chickens and just bought our first baby chicks a few days ago. I am guessing they are about a week old but could be wrong. They are Black Australorps. Everything's been going great until this morning I noticed some foul smelling diarrhea that at least one of them has. Not sure if this is normal or if I need to do something special. I changed out their water and bedding. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    That looks like a normal cecal poop. If that one chick doing it every poop or just once every 10+ poops or so?

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I concur. That is perfectly normal cecal poop. Get used to it. The bigger the chicks get, the more evil smelling and overpowering it will get. Cecals are a curse yet a normal feature of chicken poop.

1 person likes this.
  4. mlploeger

mlploeger Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Thank you!! Yes it was just cecal poop. I have zero chicken wisdom, obviously [​IMG]

5. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I was worried about that my first chickens as well don't worry. It's all part of the learning. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Cornbanessa

Cornbanessa Just Hatched

Feb 24, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I am a new chick mama as well. I noticed the same thing with my girls... I have a pair that's just under 3 weeks and another pair just under 4 weeks. I have them on unmedicated starter feed. I am a homemaker so I am able to check on them every hour or so and change their water frequently. I also started adding a little splash of ACV to the water per others posters suggestions. But every so often my girls have diarrhea... and I mean WOW does it smell! I had no idea such a small chick could produce something that foul smelling. But reading this I'm assuming that it's normal cecal poop? I don't know what that is but I'm assuming it's normal? It's like a reddish brown color and smells awful. It seems to not happen all the time but I notice it at least once a day from one of my 4 girls. The only treats they are getting right now is some shelled raw sunflower seeds. Is this normal?

7. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    Yup sounds like cecal poop. It just gets smellier with age
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by