1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Brand New Chicks and Poults - Vaccinations

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thebayougypsy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. thebayougypsy

thebayougypsy Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Hey everyone! I'm new to BYC and I'm new to the chicken world. My husband and I have 21 week old chicks and 2 three day old turkey poults. We did lose 1 chick last week but everyone seems to be hanging on so far. At the recommendation of the turkey breeder, we are keeping the poults and chicks together for the poults' first week. They are eating and drinking on their own now but thought it would be a good idea to keep them together for warmth initially. 18 of the 21 chicks were vaccinated for Marek's Disease because 3 were Cochin Bantams and were too small for the hatchery to do before shipping. At the recommendation of Meyer Hatchery, I was going to spray vaccinate the entire flock later this week and wanted to know if I should remove the turkey poults before vaccinating the chicks. Any other vaccinations I should be completing in the coming weeks?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the turkey people would know best re: removing them before the vaccinations. Just put "turkey thread," in the search box and it will come up for you.

3. ninjawesome

ninjawesome Currently being awesome Premium Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Wild, Wild West
    Hi there and [​IMG]! We are glad you could join the flock!

4. thebayougypsy

Mar 29, 2017
    We have decided to separate them before vaccinations anyway to put the chicks on the right feed and the turkeys on the high protein feed plus some electrolytes/probiotic. I also read somewhere that you don't have to vaccinate turkeys for Marek's disease.

5. thebayougypsy

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks! This forum is awesome!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under thebayougypsy [​IMG] Welcome!

It sounds like you have settled on a plan and as I have no experience with Turkeys, I will just wish you and your little ones all the best.

This is a link to the Turkey Forum Diva mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by